News & Events
- Ismail K. Poonawala honoured at a symposium
- On May 23, 2013 UCLA organized a symposium to pay tribute to UCLA Professor Emeritus Ismail K. Poonawala. Prof. Poonawala is a Bohra, and a renowned scholar of Isamili Shiism. A younger generation of scholars was invited to speak at the symposium entitled “Reflections on Ismaili Studies: Standing on Poonawala’s Shoulders”. Dr. Sumaiya Hamdani, Dr. Omar Ali-de-Unzaga and Dr. Daryoush Mohammadpour presented new research in a tradition made immeasurably richer by Prof. Poonawala contributions to Ismaili Shiism. more
- Ghalib was a beacon of secular, liberal values
- Last year (2011) in April Justice Markandey Katju suggested that Ghalib be given the Bharat Ratna and it appealed to me and several of my secular friends and so I initiated an online petition to collect signatures. It got quite a favourable response but few friends disagreed although their secular credentials are as impeccable as of those who readily supported the petition. more
- Karbala and the Imam Husayn in Persian and Indo-Muslim literature
I still remember the deep impression which the first Persian poem I ever read in connection with the tragic events of Karbala left on me. It was Qaani’s elegy which begins with the words:
‘What is raining? Blood.
Who? The eyes.
How? Day and night.
Why? From grief.
Grief for whom?
Grief for the king of Karbala’ more
Bohras and Reform
- The issues in the Bohra reform movement
- Many questions often arise about the aims and objects of the Bohra reform movement. Some even go to the extent of saying that there are contradictory views and confusion. more
- Reform and social change among Bohras - Part 1
- Change is always painful, especially if what involved is faith, intellectual beliefs and traditions. One more aggravating factor is added if the group happens to be closely-knit and dominated by a religious hierarchy with the pretensions of being the sole-interpreter of the tradition and faith. more
- Interviews and talks
- Few people understand what the reform movement is about. They think reformists are against the Dai. This is not true. Check out a series of long-ranging interviews and talks to understand why reformists are fighting and what they are fighting for. more