The difference between Qadam Bosi and Sajad as'Sukar

The one and only free public forum for Bohras. The focus of this forum is the reform movement, the Dawoodi Bohra faith and, of course, the corrupt priesthood. But the discussion is in no way restricted to the Bohras alone.
qiyam

The difference between Qadam Bosi and Sajad as'Sukar

Unread post by qiyam » Thu Mar 20, 2003 5:33 pm

To clarify two separate topics,

Qadam Bosi is to kiss the hand and foot or knee of a respected person. The reference for the tradition is as follows:

Narrated by Hazrath Buraida:
On seeing this the bedoin wanted to do Sajada to which Rasul Allah (saws) replied "If I would have given permission to do Sajada, it would have been to a women in respect of her husband". On hearing this the bedoin requested "at least can I kiss the holy feet and Hands" and the permission was granted.

related in al-Qadi Iyad's ash-Shifaa', 1:299 and al-Bazzaar's Musnad, 3:49. It is also related by ibn Abi Shayba (Book of Adab, Chapter entitled A Man Kissing Another Man's Hand When He greets Him), Tirmidhi (Book of Adab) who declared it hasan sahih, al-Nasa'i, Ibn Maja (Book of Adab), and al-Hakim who declared it sahih.

Another hadith relating the same info.:

Abu Dawood, Book 41, Number 5206:
Narrated al-Wazi' ibn Zari':
Umm Aban, daughter of al-Wazi' ibn Zari', quoting his grandfather, who was a member of the deputation of AbdulQays, said: When we came to Medina, we raced to be first to dismount and kiss the hand and foot of the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him). But al-Mundhir al-Ashajj waited until he came to the bundle of his clothes. He put on his two garments and then he went to the Prophet (peace_be_upon_him).

He said to him: You have two characteristics which Allah likes: gentleness and deliberation.

He asked: Have I acquired them or has Allah has created (them) my nature? He replied: No, Allah has created (them) in your nature.

He then said: Praise be to Allah Who has created in my nature two characteristics which Allah and His Apostle like.

--------------------------------------------------

Sajad as'Sukar is a prostration of thankfulnes with references as follows:

From fiqh us'sunnah by Sayyid Sabiq

Narrated by The majority of the scholars say that it is preferred to make prostrations of thankfulness (shukr) when one receives a bounty or is rescued from some trial. Abu Bakr reports that, when the Prophet sallallahu alehi wasallam received something which pleased him or some glad tidings, he would make the sajdah in thanks to Allah. This is related by Abu Dawud, Ibn Majah, and at-Tirmizhi who says it is hasan.

And al-Baihaqi records, with a chain that meets al-Bukhari's conditions, that when 'Ali wrote to the Messenger of Allah, informing him that Hamazhan had embraced Islam, the Prophet prostrated, and when he raised his head, he said: "Peace be upon Hamazhan, peace be upon Hamazhan."

'Abdurrahman ibn 'Auf relates that the Messenger of Allah went out once and he followed him until he entered a grove of palm trees and prostrated. His prostration was so long that 'Abdurrahman feared that Allah had taken his soul. 'Abdurrahman came to look at him and he raised his head and said: "What is wrong, Abdurrahman'?" Abdurrahman mentioned what had happened, and he said: "Gabriel alehi as-salam came to me and said: 'Shall I not give you glad tidings'? Allah says to you, Whoever prays upon you, I pray upon him. Whoever salutes you, I salute him.' Therefore, I prostrated to Allah in thanks." This is related by Ahmad and by AlHakim who says: "It is sahih according to the criterion of al-Bukhari and Muslim. And I do not know anything more authentic than that."

Al-Bukhari records that Ka'b ibn Malik made a sajdah when he received the news that Allah had accepted his repentance. Ahmad records that 'Ali performed the sajdah when he heard the news that Zhul-Thudayyah of the Khawarij was killed. Also, as mentioned before, Sa'id ibn Mansur recorded that Abu Bakr made sajdah in thankfulness when Musailimah was killed.

The prostration of thankfulness is bound by the same requirements as the prostration in prayer, while some disagree as it is not a prayer. The author of Fath al-'Alam remarks: "This latter opinion is closer to being correct." Ash-Shaukani said: "There is nothing in the hadith to prove that ablution and purity of the clothes and place are required for sajdat-ushshukr. And that is the opinion of Imam Yahya and Abu Talib. And these hadith are silent about any takbir being made with the prostration. In alBahr it is stated that there is a takbir. Imam Yahya says: 'One is not to make the prostration of thankfulness during a prayer as it is not part of the prayer.'"

Abdulla

Re: The difference between Qadam Bosi and Sajad as'Sukar

Unread post by Abdulla » Sat Mar 22, 2003 6:30 pm

Respected brother Qiyam,

I do not know about the hadith you have quoted but logically it is contradicting.

The Prophet (saws) did not allow to do sajdah but allowed to kiss the feet. To kiss the feet the person has to do a sajdah? Hope you can clarify
Jazak Allah Kheir

qiyam

Unread post by qiyam » Mon Mar 24, 2003 2:30 pm

Dear Abdulla,
I do not know about the hadith you have quoted but logically it is contradicting.

The Prophet (saws) did not allow to do sajdah but allowed to kiss the feet. To kiss the feet the person has to do a sajdah? Hope you can clarify.

---How is it contradicting. Both hadiths under Qadam bosi shows the Prophet clearly allowing kissing the HAND and FEET (please read them again). The one hadith didn't allow the bedoin to perform sujud to the Prophet because the beduin (who were typically uneducated and just coverted from paganism) would begin worshipping the Prophet. This is the reason the Prophet gives the comparision of the position of woman to man.

Sajadah as'Shukar is different from Qadam bosi in that Qadam bosi is an act of respect and praise to the person. Sajadah as'Shukar is an act of thankfullness to Allah. Realize that I quoted a passage that contained four hadiths allowing it sajah as'shukar to begin with.

jinx

Unread post by jinx » Tue Mar 25, 2003 4:26 am

Same Insanity...!

How does one kiss feet of a person without prostration...?

Anyone..?

qiyam

Unread post by qiyam » Wed Mar 26, 2003 2:31 pm

Originally posted by jinx:
Same Insanity...!

How does one kiss feet of a person without prostration...?

Anyone..?
Jinx,
if you believe so...then the Prophet allowed both kissing feet and sujud also.

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Sat Mar 29, 2003 5:30 am

br, qiyam

Sajda has been discussed extensively before and most of use (infact all of us other than you) concluded that it was not right. Ofcourse the sujda-as-shukr spin of yours did not work the last time around so you are back again with the same jargon!!

qiyam

Unread post by qiyam » Mon Mar 31, 2003 3:39 pm

Dear Anajmi,
Yes it was discussed before...and none of those who opposed my view had ANY evidence to refute what evidence posted. In addition, the varacity of the evidence (ayats and sahih hadiths) cannot be denied. The part on sajad as'sukar is supported by the vast majority of sunni and shiah ulema.

So when you above to disprove by more than just your opinion...please do so.

Muslim First

Unread post by Muslim First » Mon Mar 31, 2003 4:49 pm

Br. qiyam
AS

My apology for wasting your time.

In your post regarding Sajad as'Sukar cold you please point out if Prophet Saw did Sajad as'Sukar in front of anybody?

He did Sajad as'Sukar in privacy and probably facing qibla.

You do you Sajada in fornt of your Dai who is mere mortal.

If you can think little bit then all I want to say is that it is OK to do Sajad as'Sukar to Allah SWT for some favors done to you, but it is Shirk to do Sajad as'Sukar in front of your Dai even if you do Niyya otherwise.

Wasalaam

qiyam

Unread post by qiyam » Mon Mar 31, 2003 5:06 pm

In your post regarding Sajad as'Sukar cold you please point out if Prophet Saw did Sajad as'Sukar in front of anybody?

--I know of none..that doesn't mean there isn't though. There is the recording of a Prophet doing sajad as'shukar in front of another Prophet in the Quran...which is neither repealed by Allah or the Prophet.

He did Sajad as'Sukar in privacy and probably facing qibla.

--sajad as'shukar is not part of the salat so it is doesn't have to be done facing the Qibla.

You do you Sajada in fornt of your Dai who is mere mortal.

---The Prophet was a mortal and those that did it in front of him were also mortal...what is your point.

If you can think little bit then all I want to say is that it is OK to do Sajad as'Sukar to Allah SWT for some favors done to you, but it is Shirk to do Sajad as'Sukar in front of your Dai even if you do Niyya otherwise.

--I thank you for your ALLOWANCE for something the Prophet allowed me to do in any thankful occurance. Maybe you should study what I posted from your own sources and think a little about how wild your ego actually is.

JC

Unread post by JC » Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:15 pm

Any or all types to Sajdas and kissing of feet and hand of a mortal is WRONG and shirk.

May be 1400 years ago some kissing was allowed due to 'time' - to teach and bring some dicsipline and respect for elders and others. TODAY, the ground realities are totally against all this rubbish.

The Daism and Imamism is all fraud. Today most of the people are using religion jus for POWER.

kabeer19922001

Unread post by kabeer19922001 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:03 pm

this topic can be discussed further. I know Qiyam has left us, but M52 and Trance can fill the void