Khums

The one and only free public forum for Bohras. The focus of this forum is the reform movement, the Dawoodi Bohra faith and, of course, the corrupt priesthood. But the discussion is in no way restricted to the Bohras alone.
Ambassador_Mumbai

Khums

Unread post by Ambassador_Mumbai » Sun May 03, 2020 10:10 am

Dear Learned Member on this Forum,

I have few questions related to Khums.

1. What does early Dawat Text(Yemeni Duat) say about khums?
2. Did Dua't of Yemen use to collect Khums?

Salaam.

Qadir

Re: Khums

Unread post by Qadir » Sun May 03, 2020 5:20 pm

Its supposed to be 1/5th of your income, treasures and inherited items. But over time duat have chose to make it more flexible due to increasing cost of living and also in cases of famines or economic depressions.
Currently if people are not able to pay as much wajebat as last year due to coronavirus situation, they will have their khums waived either fully/partially.
Wajebat (zakatul Maal) is 1/40th of profits, no exceptions. People give more in hooes of earning that much more next year.

RedBox

Unread post by RedBox » Sun May 03, 2020 8:54 pm

Dont give single penny to muffy or taher.

Give money personally to people in need to whome you know or to the NGO who really works for kids and poor.

RedBox

Unread post by RedBox » Sun May 03, 2020 8:55 pm

Muffy and Taher does not qualify to accept khums or wajebaat. If you still give them then you are throwing your money in gutter.

SBM

Unread post by SBM » Sun May 03, 2020 10:23 pm

Qadir wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 5:20 pm Its supposed to be 1/5th of your income, treasures and inherited items. But over time duat have chose to make it more flexible due to increasing cost of living and also in cases of famines or economic depressions.
Currently if people are not able to pay as much wajebat as last year due to coronavirus situation, they will have their khums waived either fully/partially.
Wajebat (zakatul Maal) is 1/40th of profits, no exceptions. People give more in hooes of earning that much more next year.
According to my understanding and speaking to Ishna Asri ( Jafferia): Khums is on your extra ordinary gain in Capital and Zakat is 2.5% on your net saving (Income-Expenses) what you are telling is just opposite. Even in Sunni community Zakat is not on profit but on your net savings
May be some one can clarify that

Qadir

Unread post by Qadir » Mon May 04, 2020 12:01 am

SBM wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:23 pm
Qadir wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 5:20 pm Its supposed to be 1/5th of your income, treasures and inherited items. But over time duat have chose to make it more flexible due to increasing cost of living and also in cases of famines or economic depressions.
According to my understanding and speaking to Ishna Asri ( Jafferia): Khums is on your extra ordinary gain in Capital and Zakat is 2.5% on your net saving (Income-Expenses) what you are telling is just opposite. Even in Sunni community Zakat is not on profit but on your net savings
Yeah, it was a bad choice of words.
Khums is 20% on any and every income (not just profit) and wajebat is 1/40th of the money that's left at the end.

Qadir

Unread post by Qadir » Mon May 04, 2020 12:03 am

SBM wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:23 pm
Yeah, you are correct. it was a bad choice of words.
Khums is 20% of any income (not just profit)
Zakatul maal is 2.5% of whatever is left over at the end of year.

Ambassador_Mumbai

Unread post by Ambassador_Mumbai » Mon May 04, 2020 6:05 am

Dear Qadir,

With all due respect, you are extremely wrong on this.
first of all my question is not about how to calculate it.

It is about, what has Dua't of Yemen written about it and whether it was collected by them in the Ghaibat of Imam (as)

As far as calculation go..

Khums is on Maale Ghanimat i:e is unexpected income like Bonus or inheritance, gifts etc i;e anything unexpected...
As per Ithna Ashari Marja like Sistani Saheb khums is also applicable on Net profits if there are no liabilities.

As per Dawoodi Bohra Scholars it is applicable on Gross Profit( Salary is considered as Gross profit by them)

My conclusion is that those having business for them, khums apart from the usual unexpected gains, it is applicable on annual net profit only if they are not under any debt or have any liabilities.

For Salaried Paid Professionals Khums is applicable on Bonus, Gifts, Annual Net savings..unless they are in debt or have liabilities.

But this was not my question.

My question is about its validity in the Ghaibat of Imam (as)
Is it still obligatory to pay it? and I am looking for answers with reference to Books written by Yemeni Tayyibi Dua't.

Qadir

Unread post by Qadir » Tue May 05, 2020 1:22 pm

malgudidays wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 6:05 am Dear Qadir,

It is about, what has Dua't of Yemen written about it and whether it was collected by them in the Ghaibat of Imam (as)

Khums is on Maale Ghanimat i:e is unexpected income like Bonus or inheritance, gifts etc i;e anything unexpected...
As per Ithna Ashari Marja like Sistani Saheb khums is also applicable on Net profits if there are no liabilities.

As per Dawoodi Bohra Scholars it is applicable on Gross Profit( Salary is considered as Gross profit by them)

My conclusion is that those having business for them, khums apart from the usual unexpected gains, it is applicable on annual net profit only if they are not under any debt or have any liabilities.

For Salaried Paid Professionals Khums is applicable on Bonus, Gifts, Annual Net savings..unless they are in debt or have liabilities.

Is it still obligatory to pay it? and I am looking for answers with reference to Books written by Yemeni Tayyibi Dua't.
Its very easy to answer this. Yes, it is valid for dai in satr to do anything that Imam would do because Dai is sitting on the chair of Imam uz zaman. This isn't a fabricated fact with sabaq as my source, it has been mentioned in munajats of yemeni dais, earlier hindustan dais, STS and most recently was mentioned in waaz by SMS.

Ambassador_Mumbai

Unread post by Ambassador_Mumbai » Tue May 05, 2020 3:44 pm

Qadir wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:22 pm
malgudidays wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 6:05 am Dear Qadir,

Its very easy to answer this. Yes, it is valid for dai in satr to do anything that Imam would do because Dai is sitting on the chair of Imam uz zaman. This isn't a fabricated fact with sabaq as my source, it has been mentioned in munajats of yemeni dais, earlier hindustan dais, STS and most recently was mentioned in waaz by SMS.
Imam (as) in Zuhr does not utilize a single penny from Zakat collection on himself or his family, he does not even appoint people from his family the responsiblity of collecting Zakat, because Zakat Collectors are one of the 8 heads on whom, Zakat money is to be spent.
But if I am not wrong that is not the case right now, Dai al Mutlaq does utilize Zakat money for personal use, and they do so by counting themselves among the category of Zakat Collectors.

Hence, Dai al Mutlaq in Satr is definitely not having all the executive powers that an Imam (as) has in Zuhur nor is the position of Dai al Mutlaq in Satr equal to that of Imam (as) in Zuhur.

I specifically asked about khums during Duat of Yemen to make sure that their position was same as Dai of our era.

dal-chaval-palidu

Unread post by dal-chaval-palidu » Wed May 06, 2020 12:30 am

The Fatemi Dawat perspective on Khums, Zakat, and other things. I thought the explanation for Zakat is pretty good and clear.

https://www.fatemidawat.com/prayers/vajebaat/

Ambassador_Mumbai

Unread post by Ambassador_Mumbai » Wed May 06, 2020 2:15 pm

dal-chaval-palidu wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:30 am The Fatemi Dawat perspective on Khums, Zakat, and other things. I thought the explanation for Zakat is pretty good and clear.

https://www.fatemidawat.com/prayers/vajebaat/
Yes, it is indeed a good document.

What I want to know is it's validity in Daur al Satr, and Whether Duat of Yemen use to collect it?

Like how Salaat al Jumoa is not observed and many other things are not observed in Daur al Satr, similary I want to know whether Dai al Mutlaq in Satr can collect it or not.

I am specifically asking a reference from Duat of Yemen, because many practices in our community are recent inventions, like ruku chitthi and all...

Mkenya

Unread post by Mkenya » Thu May 07, 2020 10:08 pm

Tame loko Khums ni bariki wagere ni charcha karo cho to tamne ano jawaab Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania wala aune pucho ke teo shariat pramane badhi wajebat aapache ke kem? Aa trane desho ma Ramzan mahina ni pehli taarikh thi tame jyare masjid ma namaaz athwa jaman mate jao tyare badhaone 'statement' jewu aapwama aawe che. Tema gai saal tamoe wajebat wagere ketli aapi hati ane aa saal ma ketli wajebaat tamare ada karwani che tem lakhelu hoi che. Shariat pramane zakatul maal, khums, wagere na percent ne bajue rakhi teo je nakki kare te tamone apwanu hoi che. Ema koi dalil ke anakani ke majburi ne sifarish bilkul kaam ma nathi aawati. Aa badha kaam ni jawabdari jamaat na hartakarta na hath ma satta sathe hoi che. Dhandho mand che, ghar ma koi bimaar che, ke koi ni nokri chuti gei ewu koi sambharwa tayyaraj nathi. Aa loko pase badhi mahiti hoi che; jewi ke nawi car kharidi, bachhane ne uncha pagar ni nokri mali, gaye warse moti safar ma gayela, wagere. Aa uprant wadhare dalil karo to sidłha baisaheb anthwa head amil pase jawanu kahe. Kheir, head amil athwa bhaisaheb ne malwa pehle 'cover' thi salaam aapwano. Pachi je te feslo kare tem. Badhane force karwama aawe che ke wajebat Leil-tul-Qadr athwa ena pehle bhari dewi.

Ambassador_Mumbai

Unread post by Ambassador_Mumbai » Fri May 08, 2020 8:06 pm

Mkenya wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:08 pm Tame loko Khums ni bariki wagere ni charcha karo cho to tamne ano jawaab Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania wala aune pucho ke teo shariat pramane badhi wajebat aapache ke kem? Aa trane desho ma Ramzan mahina ni pehli taarikh thi tame jyare masjid ma namaaz athwa jaman mate jao tyare badhaone 'statement' jewu aapwama aawe che. Tema gai saal tamoe wajebat wagere ketli aapi hati ane aa saal ma ketli wajebaat tamare ada karwani che tem lakhelu hoi che. Shariat pramane zakatul maal, khums, wagere na percent ne bajue rakhi teo je nakki kare te tamone apwanu hoi che. Ema koi dalil ke anakani ke majburi ne sifarish bilkul kaam ma nathi aawati. Aa badha kaam ni jawabdari jamaat na hartakarta na hath ma satta sathe hoi che. Dhandho mand che, ghar ma koi bimaar che, ke koi ni nokri chuti gei ewu koi sambharwa tayyaraj nathi. Aa loko pase badhi mahiti hoi che; jewi ke nawi car kharidi, bachhane ne uncha pagar ni nokri mali, gaye warse moti safar ma gayela, wagere. Aa uprant wadhare dalil karo to sidłha baisaheb anthwa head amil pase jawanu kahe. Kheir, head amil athwa bhaisaheb ne malwa pehle 'cover' thi salaam aapwano. Pachi je te feslo kare tem. Badhane force karwama aawe che ke wajebat Leil-tul-Qadr athwa ena pehle bhari dewi.
Well, you folks should develop a spine and fight back.

Mkenya

Unread post by Mkenya » Sat May 09, 2020 3:16 pm

malgudidays bhai: Zabaan ne farfararwi bahu sehlu che. Aa loko ma spine che ane ghani majboot che. Teo mualana na ketla mohíb che te to teona dil ni andar ni waat che. Kheir, jyare khums, zakaat, wagere na hisab karwa ma shariat mutabik amal nathi thato te samne jara pan
dalil karo to tamne kadwa shabdo kahi zalil kare che. "Aama Maulana ni khushi che, Maula khoob apshe, Maulana ni nafarmani karo cho?" ewu badhu sambhlawi ne dhamki aape che. Be badaam na 'khitmatguzaro' gaam na rahiso tatha khairkhwa loko ne sharm wagar hardoot kari lei che. Bhai, spine ni waat nathi, David ane Goliath ni waat che.

Ambassador_Mumbai

Unread post by Ambassador_Mumbai » Wed May 20, 2020 2:27 am

Bhai Mkenya, I know it is not easy, but I believe you consider yourself to be a follower of Imam Husain (as).
Even though, you cannot fight these atrocities today, atleast pledge to do so in future and do tadbeer for it.

Enlighten people at personal level, educate, discuss and share knowledge on how you guys can possibly change this situation.

May be you will never succeed in your lifetime but the butterfly effect will someday bring about the positive changes you worked for.

Aney David ye to Goliath ne Halaak kidu, kem ke David Haq pa Hata aney Allah Haq na logo na sathey chey..