Bohri Récipe Request

Lighten up a little and talk about movies, music, books and recipes and more... this forum provides the flip side to the intense and serious discussion taking place in other forums. No topic is off-limit here so long as it is within the accepted norms of decency and decorum.
mbohra

Bohri Récipe Request

Unread post by mbohra » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:50 am

The East African Bohris celebrate Eid-ul-Adha by preparing and consuming two dishes "Malido" and "Kharo Gosh".

Can any East African Bohri sister or brother please oblige and provide the récipe for KHARO GOSH please before the Eid day?

Thanks and Haj Mubarak to the new hajis and
Eid-ul-Mubarak to all.

tahir

Re: Bohri Récipe Request

Unread post by tahir » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:28 pm

Both these dishes are prepared in India as well.

mbohra

Unread post by mbohra » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:10 pm

Tahir:

OK, the Bohris celebrate Eid-ul-Adha with Malido and Kharo Gosh.

But the simple request was: does any one have the recipé for Kahro Gosh? - I did NOT ask for any editorial comments or clarifications or corrections!!!!!

Are you an anal-retentive person who always wants to score a point by correcting others ; or merely suffering from some inferiority complex?

Al Zulfiqar

Unread post by Al Zulfiqar » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:15 pm

mbohra,

i dont know why u flew off yr handle and started yelling from yr nether ends.

i had a second look at yr question and tahir's response and all i could see is that he helped yr search for these highly prized and elusive recipes by letting you know that you can now cast your net wider and further than the shores of east africa, where you had mistakenly restricted yrself so far.

is there some hidden and deeper underlying reason for yr extreme response, some open and sensitive nerve having been disturbed, one is led to wonder .....?

mbohra

Unread post by mbohra » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:46 pm

No Al-Zulfiqar:

But Thanks.
I stand corrected, if and when I am wrong.

Average Bohra

Unread post by Average Bohra » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:44 am

My standard request for a gift from India is Kaari Masala. In the last 5 years I have received this masala from numerous sources but I just can't get it to taste like it should. I have also received several recommendations on how to cook it once you get the masala, but still not good enough for prime time.

Any suggestions (detailed instructions) would be sincerely appreciated. I will reciprocate in kind as I am a fairly decent cook; at least I like to think so ! :p

Sorry mbohra for crashing your topic, I wish I knew how to cook Kharo Gosh, but I look forward to the recipe just as I am sure you are.

tahir

Unread post by tahir » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:47 am

AZ,
Thanks for clarifying my stance. I couldn't have explained it better.

mbohra,
I don't blame you for the misunderstanding. Given the kind of fireworks we usually have here, it has become instinctive for people to see every response through combat glasses. Actually I was going to add that I will ask my mom and try to translate the ingredients and recipe in English so as to post here (cannnot promise though).

mbohra

Unread post by mbohra » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:47 am

Average Bohra:

These are the two I know of:

1. South Indian Kaari Masala:
Kari masala powder
Coriander seeds - 1 cup
Gram Dal - 1 cup
Cumin seeds - 1/2 cup
Urud Dal - 1/2 tsp
fenugreek seeds - 1/4 tsp
whole red peppers-10 asafoetida - 1/4 tsp (add last)

2. Pyaz vaala Kari Masala
This is the basic wet masala curry paste upon which Indians build most of their vegetarian and non-vegetarian curries. Variations stem from adding other ingredients.
There are two parts to making this paste, each of which has two steps--but it's not complicated, really!
Makes about 1/2 cup

7 to 10 quarter-size slices of peeled fresh ginger
3 cloves fresh garlic (large), peeled
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
2 large tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro, including soft stems
1 to 3 fresh green chili peppers, such as serrano, stemmed
1/4 cup peanut oil

First, grind together the ingredients in two groups. Then brown the paste, also in two steps. The masala is ready when traces of oil are visible on the sides and the top.
To use, heat the paste and pan-fry spices and whatever vegetables and meats you wish to use, then mix in water, yogurt, buttermilk, coconut milk, cream, or vegetable or chicken broth in varying proportions, for the volume and consistency of the actual sauce and to tenderize the foods being cooked.

SBM

Unread post by SBM » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:59 am

Please check the following link:
http://recipes.bohragreetings.com/comsug.asp

SBM

Unread post by SBM » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:35 pm

mbohra
At that link look for Namkeen Ghoss under mutton link and you will get your Khara Ghoss recipe

mbohra

Unread post by mbohra » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:58 pm

Thanks Omabharti: Much appreciated.

turbocanuck

Unread post by turbocanuck » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:13 pm

Mbohra,
here is a link of some exquisite East African Recipes

http://www.geocities.com/shenukas/Recipes

Al Zulfiqar

Unread post by Al Zulfiqar » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:21 pm

chalo, atleast a welcome and mouth watering diversion from the usual squabbles...

now i hope this also does not degenerate into ismaili recipes v/s sunni or ... god forbid! :)

mbohra

Unread post by mbohra » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:53 pm

I have been given to understand that a Bohri lady from England Ms. Shamime Lakda (a lawyer/solicitor!!) has published a collection of Bohri récipes in a publication called - what else but:

" Dhaal-Chawal Palidu"

On page K06, I understand is the récipe of Kharo Gosh. The only problem on the ingredients is that ironically or paradoxically there is no mention of salt whatsoever!

Perhaps it is only a collection of récipes and as in most of the other récipe books the récipes here have NOT been tried and tested/tasted before the book had been published. I think the author does quite rightly admit that it is only a collection of récipes.

ISBN No. 0 947648 37 2

Published by:
Bookart
1 Woodcock Lodge
Epping Green
Herts SG13 8ND

Shamime Lakda: Tel: 020 8993 7640

Average Bohra

Unread post by Average Bohra » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:47 pm

MB,

Appreciate the recipe for the spices, I'll try it when I run out of premade masala. I have only been adding Coconut Milk for desired consistency, do you add "yogurt, buttermilk, cream, or vegetable or chicken broth " in addition to it ?

mbohra

Unread post by mbohra » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:06 pm

Average Bohra:

It is NOT in addition to - either/ or; depending on the taste preference or availability of Coconut Milk yogurt, buttermilk, cream, or vegetable or chicken broth.

Al Zulfiqar

Unread post by Al Zulfiqar » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:08 pm

i have many bohra recipe books in my collection, but sad to say they are often not too precise and as mb mentioned sometimes they leave essential things out. this happens because these are usually compiled by housewives who are not professional chefs and the recipes have not been tested exactly as they appear in the books.

but we being generally good cooks know how to navigate through these by filling in the blanks.

btw, has anyone ever noticed that although bohra food is so well known and recognised, bohra restaurants have never flourished? in my opinion, its to do with too much micro-managing and unable to overcome our tight-fistedness. i have know a couple of restts owned and managed by bohras in dubai, india etc. they all failed miserably because the owners were very difficult with staff and stingy with clients.

any one know of a successful and long running bohra restt anywhere? i dont mean catering, purely retail restt type.

africawalla

Unread post by africawalla » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:35 pm

There are a couple of very good Bohra restaurants in Tanzania and UK which are successful and running for a long time

Fruits

Unread post by Fruits » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:30 am

Originally posted by Al Zulfiqar:
let our foods unite us.. :)
Alzulfiqar will surely attend all the eateres on the invitation from his friends and relatives but will not eat at those gatherings bcoz zulfiqar ko to bohri khane se parhez hai after all masaledar aur oily khane se to apne belly badne ka dar rahega and moreover apna zulfi bhai is no more a part of the bohra stream be it the othodox or the reformist.And be prepared zulfi bhai isme bhi koi na koi kami nikal he lenge

Al Zulfiqar

Unread post by Al Zulfiqar » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:42 am

only rotten 'fruits' would attempt to derail a nice delectable thread... but with a name like that, what can one expect?

Fruits

Unread post by Fruits » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:06 pm

Originally posted by Al Zulfiqar:
only rotten 'fruits' would attempt to derail a nice delectable thread... but with a name like that, what can one expect?
To expect decency from you is like expecting the sahara desert turn into rainforest.The person who lives every moment of his life spitting venomous words & crossing all level of decent talks is like expecting too much from you zulfiqar & if that ever happens that that shall really be a miracle my friend

Al Zulfiqar

Unread post by Al Zulfiqar » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:06 pm

fruits, if you dont post some nice bohra recipe here with fresh, juicy fruits as its main ingredient, (in order to keep this thread on its tracks) then i'm afriad the entire consignment of 'fruits' that you imported will rot and will have to be dumped in garbage. :eek:

did u have your consignment of fruits phyto-sanitary inspected when it landed? because u dont follow proper safeguards, someone sold u some 'lemons'...!

mbohra

Unread post by mbohra » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:59 pm

An Isamili Récipe website - here with the East African influence:

http://chachiskitchen.blogspot.com/sear ... 0Influence

anajmi:
please refrain from usual anti-Ismaili diatribe, for a change!!!!

tahir

Unread post by tahir » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:55 am

Originally posted by mbohra:
An Isamili Récipe website - here with the East African influence:

These recipes have indian influence too

No just kidding :D

Please don't go kothar on me.

Fatwa Banker

Unread post by Fatwa Banker » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:03 pm

http://www.showmethecurry.com/ is a great site for Desi recipes. Most have a youtube video showing them preparing it so it is almost idiot proof. Great for fusion cooking too, my favorite (so far) is the Tuna Sabzi.