Top 500 Most Influential Muslims Today

The one and only free public forum for Bohras. The focus of this forum is the reform movement, the Dawoodi Bohra faith and, of course, the corrupt priesthood. But the discussion is in no way restricted to the Bohras alone.
candela

Top 500 Most Influential Muslims Today

Unread post by candela » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:42 am

Assalaamu alaikum everyone,

Guess who made the list at #45... hahaha. See the pdf... more on him is on page 79.

http://www.rissc.jo/muslim500v-1L.pdf

Aarif

Re: Top 500 Most Influential Muslims Today

Unread post by Aarif » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:02 pm

Well, on a serious note, the list really paints a pathetic picture of the Muslim world where the only great muslims are the kings, Islamic scholers and controversial personalities. There is no mention of any great scientists (accept one nuclear scientist), mathematicians, business men etc. who have made their mark in the world of likes of Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Eienstien, etc. This gives me an impression that we Muslims have a long way to go as far as making a serious contribution to global development is concerned...

SBM

Unread post by SBM » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:51 pm

Aarif
Right on that note, the number of UNIVERSITIES in Muslim countries are less than the number of UNIVERSITIES in USA or India.

admirer

Unread post by admirer » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:11 pm

Also check out page no. 94

ozmujaheed

Unread post by ozmujaheed » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:00 pm

I think is this sis a good publication..

I disagree that it is pathetic list...it is afact in current environment majority mulims are othodox oriented and hence most religios or administrative personalities inlfuence our lives which directly affects the rest of the world.

Our own community only respects or listens to Burhanudinn or Asgarali depending on where one stands because they are mainly focussed with issues surrounding community adminsitartive issues.

Of course there are many scientists and painters but how many rally on the streets to their support...so rather than criticising this excllent brief insight from Mr Talal acknowledge or come up with a better alternative.

Also interesting to note that Burhanudinn is only recognised globally as influencing a community through his administrative capability...sometimes it is worth getting a reallity check from the outside

Safiuddin

Unread post by Safiuddin » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:54 pm

I noticed Dr. Asghar Ali Engineer is mentioned.

Aarif

Unread post by Aarif » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:20 am

I disagree that it is pathetic list...it is afact in current environment majority mulims are othodox oriented and hence most religios or administrative personalities inlfuence our lives which directly affects the rest of the world.
The current influence of these great men on the Islamic world is clearly visible. It is ironical that you do not see the reality of muslim world vis a vis rest of world. The topmost muslim on the list is king of Saudi Arabia who has inherited his riches from his fore fathers. What is his personal achievement? The same goes for most of them including syedna who inherited his wealth from his father. Quite a few muslim scholers mentioned in the list are controversial. One dude was twice stripped off from his citizenship in Egypt.
Of course there are many scientists and painters but how many rally on the streets to their support...so rather than criticising this excllent brief insight from Mr Talal acknowledge or come up with a better alternative.
That's the irony of muslims. We give more importance to things that don't matter much in real world. Bohras giving more than neccessary importance to their dai is an gud example.

ozmujaheed

Unread post by ozmujaheed » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:26 pm

A

...Saudi king may be a stretch of being the most influential at the top of the list but he surely is on the list...but the what would make your top ten list as have influenced muslim current day welfare ?

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:00 pm

His Excellency
His Eminence
His Royal Excellency
His Majesty
His Highness
His Holiness

What the heck is wrong with the morons!!! With all these titles, not one of them has been able to do anything about the misery of the Palestinians at the hands of the Israelis!! The best title for these asswipes is His Cowardliness.

bohra_manus

Unread post by bohra_manus » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:47 pm

I agree with Bro. Anjami

Al Zulfiqar

Unread post by Al Zulfiqar » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:35 am

anajmi wrote:the misery of the Palestinians at the hands of the Israelis!!
a slight but significant correction will explain why...

"the misery of the Palestinians at the hands of the Israelis (read americans)!!

Aarif

Unread post by Aarif » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:10 am

The best title for these asswipes is His Cowardliness.
Well said Anajmi.. And OZ that answers your stupid question as well

ozmujaheed

Unread post by ozmujaheed » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:00 pm

A ... you have finally resorted to vulgarity now that you have run out of a logical debate...

Aarif

Unread post by Aarif » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:43 am

ozmujaheed wrote:A ... you have finally resorted to vulgarity now that you have run out of a logical debate...
O,

Logical debate with you is a big joke. Anyways I will try :)

First of all none of the personalities mentioned in the so called top list are men who have made much positive contribution to the global development on their own merit. The list contains names of controversial people like the leader of Hamas, Khomeini etc. Today what muslims need is examples of men who have made a +ve difference to the world and society by their selfless achievements.

Since, you are asking me to come up with my own list, let me tell you that unfortunately there is no such list. However, as an example, I can think the top in the list will include people like Abdul Kalam, ex-president of India. As a kid he started his education under a street lamp. He use to earn his living by selling news papers. You can read his achievements on the web.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A._P._J._Abdul_Kalam

And this guy became the president of India on his own balls. Unfortunately we have very few such examples. Another one is Abdus Salam, the Pakistani nobel award winner who passed away in 1996.

Today how many business men, how many scientists, do we have who have a say in global development???

The middle east kings are the best examples of ayyashi and haraamkhori. What can one learn from these American whores??? I have seen their life styles when I was in middle east. It was anything but Islamic..

Today we need people who can unite Muslims with rest of the world by setting +ve examples. People who treat Osama as their role model will become terrorists and people who will treat Abdus Salam as their role model will make a contribution to this world which will help millions. Martin Luther King followed the example of Gandhi and became great.

Now you can either come out of the well and look at the world or keep assuming your well as the world. The choice is yours.

Smart

Unread post by Smart » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:46 pm

If all of you have gone through this document, you will notice that Osama bin Laden and his leutinant Zawahiri have been mentioned.

The credibility of this list is suspect. Who decides this list? What authority do they have? Reading between the lines, this a hagiography of all the rich tyrants of the Islamic world. Pay and get your name included in the list.

How else does the Sultan of Brunei influence the world, except by having golden toilets in his jets and hundreds of Mercedeses?

mutmaeen

Unread post by mutmaeen » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:52 am

azim premji the head of wipro is a very influential businessman of india

ozmujaheed

Unread post by ozmujaheed » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:31 pm

A you ar right you can not have a logical argument with me ...I operate at a higher IQ to yours ! rest assured yours seem to be slightly higher than Orthos !

To a serious debate..Abdul Kalam..fantastic achievemennt for himself ...but how many million lives has he improved ? Sure he a is a role model but so is SRK but how many can be SRK ?

The book explains in the openning this is about the people how influence peoples lives whthere for the good or worse...eg Khamanei single handedly decides on an electioon outcome for 70 million Iran whethere people like it or not..he canb also decide single handedly whether Irans is at a state of war with the West...that is influence..not tyhe same as popular leaders.

Nasrallah of Lebanon decides whether Palestine is a always a burning issue between the West and Islam (musims living outside palestine) whether palestinians are dying or aspire for peace....same way as Burhanudinn..he can single handedly whthere we like it or not decide what 1 million Bohras do or dont...

It goes further describing the Turkish televengical who being in the top is motivating youth to look beyond jihad and is really influencing millions of youth in the middle east...what is also interesting that prooves my previos debates that Muslims are still influenced by the events in Arabia because very few Indians and Pakistanis though in their 300 million or 25% of the Ummah has any majorl influence on other Muslims.

If you like bashing Saudi Kings and Princes ...try expressing your views while at a Saudi airport and then let me know who much influence he has on your existence ! Of course many will jump th trigger and shout --I am a Saudi King fan ..no I am not I am pragmatic.

Secondly to the PC desktop experts...do you really beleive you have collectively more research capacity and analysis to do a better job...why are you so negative and complaining about any good that any Muslim tries to reconcile with the West...and yet many of you West bashers exists and prosper in the West !

This is an annual report so you have time to make the list by being more useful to the world !

mutmaeen

Unread post by mutmaeen » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:45 am

bro oz

even u try syedna bashing at a moharram wa az and see what becomes of u

i dont know what u mean by influence-but giving joy to a bilion people if it can be classified as influence then surely shah rukh salman aamir-mohd rafi saab talat saab etc have given more joy to indian sub continent and therefore more people than saudi king-add mohammed azharuddin and naseeruddin shah and place yusufbhai aka dilip kumar at the top of the list

Aarif

Unread post by Aarif » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:53 am

A you ar right you can not have a logical argument with me ...I operate at a higher IQ to yours ! rest assured yours seem to be slightly higher than Orthos !
O,

Your IQ is quite visible from your posts. Rest assured, it is the lowest on this forum.

Now let's get back to our debate. First of all I have clearly mentioned in my post. NOT JUST THE INFLUENCE BUT WHAT KIND OF INFLUENCE is highly important. And if the kind of people mentioned in the list are influencing the lives of muslims than it is really a sorry state of affairs for the Muslim world. Today why muslims are getting bashed up left, right and center in every walk of life? It is precisely because the way they are portrayed by these great men in the list. And again I will only go to Saudi (Inshallah) to perform haj. Otherwise I give a rat's arse for the king of Saudi. Also, the undemocratic influence on the last election by khomeini has been criticized by the whole world outside as well as inside Iran. People came out on the roads to protest against it.

The examples that I have given are the ones that IF FOLLOWED BY MUSLIMS will help us to create a better world for ourselves and others. And honestly no one is stopping us from taking inspiration from their lives. Remember, it is our fault if we are allowing these tyrants to influence our lives. E.g. it is the fault of bohras if they are allowing a man like syedna to influence their lives. When Saddam was alive he was influencing the lives of millions of Iraqis. I use to see his pictures hanging on the walls of many muslim shops in Mumbai. He was considered a hero. Does that mean that you would add him to the list as well? Today when Hamas attacks the Israelis, poor Palestinians pay with their lives. Do you consider that as gud influence?? My point is that by publishing this kind of list and accepting these men as heroes is a mistake. From our side, we can atleast give it a try to reduce their influence by taking control of our own lives in the best possible way. E.g. if a bohra stops making a fool out of himself he can easily come out of the clutches of Syedna and kothar. And believe me that's all it takes to come out of their influence.

Again I am not criticizing the entire list. But most of the top men do not deserve the slot they have been given by this dude.