poetry

The one and only free public forum for Bohras. The focus of this forum is the reform movement, the Dawoodi Bohra faith and, of course, the corrupt priesthood. But the discussion is in no way restricted to the Bohras alone.
SBM

poetry

Unread post by SBM » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:38 pm

Following is great poetry I know this should be posted in Islam today section but it is so important for everyone to read I am hoping Kotharis would be reading this

Poem by Nizar Qabbani-- Famous contemporary Arab poet
Would You Permit Me?

In a country where thinkers are assassinated, and writers are considered infidels and books are burnt, in societies that refuse the other, and force silence on mouths and thoughts forbidden, and to question is a sin, I must beg your pardon, would you permit me?
Would you permit me to bring up my children as I want, and not to dictate on me your whims and orders.
Would you permit me to teach my children that the religion is first to God, and not for religious leaders or scholars or people?
Would you permit me to teach my little one that religion is about good manners, good behavior, good conduct, honesty and truthfulness, before I teach her with which foot to enter the bathroom or with which hand she should eat?

Would you permit me to teach my daughter that God is about love, and she can dialogue with Him and ask Him anything she wants, far away from the teachings of anyone

Would you permit me not to mention the torture of the grave to my children, who do not know about death yet?
Would you permit me to teach my daughter the tenets of the religion and its culture and manners, before I force on her the 'Hijab' (the veil)?
Would you permit me to tell my young son that hurting people and degrading them because of their nationality, color or religion, is considered a big sin by God?
Would you permit me to tell my daughter to revising her homework and paying attention to her learning is considered by God as more useful and important than learning by heart Ayahs from the Quran without knowing their meaning?

Would you permit me to teach my son that following the footsteps of the Honorable Prophet begins with his honesty, loyalty and truthfulness, before his beard or how short his robe (long shirt/dress) is?

Would you permit me to tell my daughter that her Christian friend is not an infidel, and ask her not to cry fearing her friend will go to Hell?

Would you permit me to argue, that God did not authorize anyone on earth after the Prophet to speak in his name nor did he vest any powers in anyone to issue 'deeds of forgiveness' to people?
Would you permit me to say, that God has forbidden killing the human spirit, and who kills wrongly a human being is as if he killed all human kind, and no Moslem has the right to frighten another Moslem?
Would you permit me to teach my children that God is greater, more just, and more merciful than all the (religious) scholars on earth combined? And that his standards are different from the standards of those trading the religion, and that his accountability is kinder and more merciful?

canadian

Re: poetry

Unread post by canadian » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:04 pm

God bless Nizar Qabbani for writing and omabharti for bringing it to our attention, thoughts which were in my heart but which I did not know how to articulate.

accountability

Unread post by accountability » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:01 pm

thankyou oma. very nice poetry. soul searching heart touching.

like_minded

Unread post by like_minded » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:57 am

Thank you bro Oma! Very nice poetry!!!

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:23 am

Before commenting on how beautiful the poem is try to consider your own personal teachings and identify if that is what you have been taught. For eg.
Would you permit me to teach my son that following the footsteps of the Honorable Prophet begins with his honesty, loyalty and truthfulness, before his beard or how short his robe (long shirt/dress) is?
Were you guys taught that growing a beard is more important that being honest, loyal and truthful? Really?
Would you permit me to tell my young son that hurting people and degrading them because of their nationality, color or religion, is considered a big sin by God?
Were you guys taught that this wasn't a sin? By whom?

Poetry like this is normally written and admired by a person who wants to find an excuse not to grow a beard or not to dress like the prophet advised or not to memorize the Quran.

Regal

Unread post by Regal » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:13 am

anajmi u are right we were not taught these things when we were kids but our kids will pick it up in this era. they learn that if you have a beard you will get no trouble from the amils regardless of your honesty, loyalty. they learn that a bearded man with topi is more trustable than one w/o topi. because we degrade other sects and customs. bohra supremacy is taught leaving the door open for such false presumptions about us.

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:08 pm

Kids learn first from their parents and then from the Amils. If you know your kids are learning the wrong things from the Amils, then don't send them there.

accountability

Unread post by accountability » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:35 pm

The problem with religious fanaticism is, it makes to lose the sense to admire the beauty of anything. its vision so narrowed that only darkness and bewilderence exists. it eludes the very existence of nature yet confining it to a barrel, never to escape.
Mind shuts down, senses desensitized, it makes its prey virtually dead but moving. Any opening or light hurts it to freak and scream. Unfortunately there is no cure for it.

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:57 pm

The following isnt a poetry but nonetheless its a lesson, especially for the present dai to learn from :-

ALEXANDER - The Great's Last 3 Wishes--

Alexander, after conquering many kingdoms, was returning home. On the way, he fell ill and it took him to his death bed. With death staring him in his face, Alexander realized how his conquests,his great army, his sharp sword and all his wealth were of no consequence.

He now longed to reach home to see his mother's face and bid her his last adieu. But, he had to accept the fact that his sinking health would not permit him to reach his distant homeland.

So, the mighty conqueror lay prostrate and pale, helplessly waiting to breathe his last. He called his generals and said, "I will depart from this world soon, I have three wishes, please carry them out without fail."

With tears flowing down their cheeks, the generals agreed to abide by their king's last wishes.

1) "My first desire is that", said Alexander,
"My physicians alone must" carry my coffin."

2) After a pause, he continued,
"Secondly, I desire that when my coffin is being carried to the grave, the path leading to the graveyard be strewn with gold, silver and precious stones which I have collected in my treasury".

3) The king felt exhausted after saying this. He took a minute's rest and continued.
"My third and last wish is that both my hands be kept dangling out of my coffin".

The people who had gathered there wondered at the king's strange wishes. But no one dared bring the question to their lips.. Alexander's favorite general kissed his hand and pressed them to his heart.
"O king, we assure you that all your wishes will be fulfilled. But tell us why do you make such strange wishes?"

At this Alexander took a deep breath and said:

"I would like the world to know of the three lessons I have just learnt.

Lessons to be learnt from last 3 wishes of King Alexander...

I want my physicians to carry my coffin because people should realize that no doctor on this earth can really cure any body. They are powerless and cannot save a person from the clutches of death. So let not people take life for granted.

The second wish of strewing gold, silver and other riches on the path to the graveyard is to tell People that not even a fraction of gold will come with me. I spent all my life Greed of Power, earning riches but cannot take anything with me.

Let people realize that it is a sheer waste of time to chase wealth.

And about my third wish of having my hands dangling out of the coffin, I wish people to know that I came empty handed into this world and empty handed I go out of this world".

With these words, the king closed his eyes.

Soon he let death conquer him and breathed his last. . . .