A closed topic or poll

The one and only free public forum for Bohras. The focus of this forum is the reform movement, the Dawoodi Bohra faith and, of course, the corrupt priesthood. But the discussion is in no way restricted to the Bohras alone.
mbohra

A closed topic or poll

Unread post by mbohra » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:27 pm

ADMIN:

In the recent past, the regulars must have noticed the incessant and positively and incredibly boring "pissing matches" or one-upmanship/tit-for-tat going (merely to self-massage the so-called contributor's ego on on the missives such as:

Haqiqi Qibla (111 responses in a few days)
and
ghanu jeevo.. ta qayamat ghanu jeevo... (100 responses in a few days)

If one reads most of them, he or she will realize them there appears to be no substance in the responses - "full of sound and fury, signifying nothing(Macbeth- Shakespear)

Isn't there an electronic function called "closed topic or poll" the ADMIN can use, which is available, on these missives to terminate these kinds of intellectual masturbation (as opposed to compared to intercourse of ideas)?

Thanks

ponga bhori

Re: A closed topic or poll

Unread post by ponga bhori » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:35 pm

They have already decided to stop

Posted on Kibla Topic: by Porus
"jawanmardan, accountability
You should learn from today's postings by our resident wahhabi bigots not to engage in any debate concerning taawil/baatin with them."

Admin

Unread post by Admin » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:17 pm

mbohra,

We've the ability to close a topic but we only do it if the topic gets too abusive and offensive.

Regarding the "pissing matches", they are a part of the reality of public forums and free expression. It is best to ignore it when you think it is going out of hand. Closing topics just for this reason may become too arbitrary and subjective, and seeing how discussions always stray away from their topics we might end up closing all topics. We'd rather have participants exercise their good sense and judgement.

Thanks for your interest.

Admin

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:45 pm

mbohra,

I remember the time when I was in the second grade and would act like a snitch going and complaining to the teacher when I saw my friends doing things which I didn't like or which I wasn't smart enough to participate in. I grew up, it is time you did too. Believe me, I am not initiating a pissing match against you. It will be a waste of piss.

Now admin can close this topic.

mbohra

Unread post by mbohra » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:32 pm

anajmi:

Since you became a member on January 10, 2001, you have posted 5051 postings - the highest number by any member (average of two postings a day!!!). In one week of October 2007 (this month) you have posted 50 postings. The next "prolific" member appears to have posted 2789 - by Muslim First, who has been a member since June 19, 2001.
If one analyses these postings, with due respect to the ADMIN, most of these do not appear to be "a part of the reality of public forums and free expression." As indcated previously most of thes appesr to be "intellectual masturbation" rather than "an intercourse of ideas". Immature people discuss or rebut or refute people for massaging their inflated egos or exhibit their inferiority complex , mature people discuss ideas to enhance mankind's standings to make this world a better place etc.

I am NOT perfect by any means but I have the God given right to differ and advance my misgivings or ideas without hurting any one's feelings or encroaching on their rights.

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:06 pm

mbohra,
I am NOT perfect by any means but I have the God given right to differ and advance my misgivings or ideas without hurting any one's feelings or encroaching on their rights.
And occasionally I complain to the Admin to close topics where others are advancing their misgivings or ideas and occasionally I even hurt other's feelings by calling their posts "intellectual masturbation" and calling them people with inflated egos and what not. And yes, I am one of those sanctimonious bull shitters.

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:07 pm

Unfortunately you have only a 190 posts to your credit, so I couldn't figure out more about you.

seeker110

Unread post by seeker110 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:59 pm

The one who speaks the most is not worth listening.Probably selling inferior stuff.

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:58 pm

seeker,

To get the full benefit of what I am selling, you need to spend 15 minutes a day doing wudhu, which for you is a waste of time. A hair brush is of no use to a bald man. Grow some hair and I will give you the brush for free.

jawanmardan

Unread post by jawanmardan » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:02 pm

Mbohra,

I agree that discussions on this forum can often descend into antagonistic and infantile slinging matches, although I think your rather generous when you describe them as “intellectual masturbation”, not so much the former but perhaps plenty of the latter.

I for one don’t view stricter moderation as a solution, it may hold folks in tow, but would ultimately feed a dishonest, artificial and hollow forum which form the standard paradigm of almost any discussion of Islam by Muslims. This forum is one of the few exceptions.

Increasing moderation as slippery slide and closing discussions only rewards those who lower the tone, drawing red lines only goes to blunt the intellectual, and critical examination of Islam by placing obstacles before the free exchange of ideas. Which surely is what we as Muslims have so long g been deprived of.

All of which hardly contribute to your perfectly laudable beliefs of “enhance mankind's standings” and “making the world a better place”

Brother I do admit joining the fray from time to time, however I often withdraw when I feel that the discussion is dead, dull, and hostile. But for what it’s worth I will try to avoid engaging posts by individuals with whom I unable to hold a civil discussion.

I for one congratulate the administrators for their commitment to free expression.

Warmest Regards, Salaam wa alikum.

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:58 am

I agree to have a civil discussion as long as it is in English, since I only know bad words in greek, latin and norwegian. I will also try to avoid discussing anything with Ismailis since they do not represent true Islam or muslims as such. They are a deviant sect and as such represent less than a hundredth of 1 percent of muslims. We should concentrate on the majority that still know the correct path and try to get them back on it.

I also congratulate the Administrators for having allowed more than 5000 posts from me, a major chunk of those dealing with Ismailis as mbohra and average bohra will validate. That is a lot of wasted disk space.

-----

Seriously, guys, stop this infantile slinging match and intellectual masturbation. Grow up and instead of complaining about how and what others post all the time try and get some meat for your posts time to time. Or just stop posting or reading others' posts if they are too much for tiny brains and weak emotions to bear.

jawanmardan,

No need to pretend to be this intellectual genius who has read strauss and now expects me to read that crap to understand 3 words of latin. I have met a lot of Ismaili pretenders on this board and have out lived them all. Not one of them was able to produce the interpretation of a single ayah of the quran according to your "Bolta Quran". Not one!! I give you the opportunity to present the interpretation/translation of 4:34 according to your Imam.

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:02 am

There can be no intellectual and critical examination of Islam without the understanding of the quran and since you have a "bolta quran" in your midst, albeit not divinely sanctioned, it should be easy for you. As I stated, let us start with ayah 4:34 of the quran. I promise to have a civil discussion.

Average Bohra

Unread post by Average Bohra » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:29 am

There can be no intellectual understanding of Islam withot the critical examination of the Quran.

baburao

Unread post by baburao » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:24 am

<<There can be no intellectual understanding of Islam.............>>

The use of intellect in faith is totally alien to the wahabis and the taleban - as is evident from the banal responses on every topic from the two representatives

accountability

Unread post by accountability » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:43 pm

AB: when you say, analyse quran critically, do you mean to authenticate or verify it. or you want a logical analysis.

Faith is supposed to be fait accompli, faith according merriam webster dictionary, is defined as " firm belief in something for which there is no proof". Quran is faith, it is the foundation of religion islam, so putting quran to critical analysis will nullify the whole religion. faithfuls to islam have to believe in quran as words of god.

this is same as any other religion. take an example of christianity. There are more than two billion christians around the world. they all believe in jesus christ, as prophet, as saviour and most of them believe him to be the son of god. Having said all this, no one as yet can produce one evidence that any one on this planet earth ever saw jesus christ in person.

Add 1.6 billion muslims to that, because believing in jesus christ is also integral part of their religion. Quran narrates extensively about christ, but does not give any location of this existence.

if you put bible to critical analysis, or can you?
critically analysing quran and bible will almost negate the faith of more than half the population of this planet.

if we assume, that you do not believe in any religion, and also you do not believe in god. that is also a faith. putting ethiesism to analysis will yield the same result as putting quran to critical analysis. you may not be able to prove that there is no god.