this year please help

The one and only free public forum for Bohras. The focus of this forum is the reform movement, the Dawoodi Bohra faith and, of course, the corrupt priesthood. But the discussion is in no way restricted to the Bohras alone.
accountability

this year please help

Unread post by accountability » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:43 pm

I was thinking about ramadan this year, it is going to start from 2nd week of sept.

The month according to islam is a time for reverence and retribution, piety and reformation.

Also this year jamat has started collecting wajebat very early. They already have increased the misery of ordinary beings, by burdening them with more monetary demands. This year I have resolved, that despite my wife's persistence, I will not pay the wajebat, except sila fitrah. the reason being, 1. I did not accur any zakat, which is the only compulsory contribution in the form, other being innovations, and not mandatory. One of aunt in karachi is widow, she needs my help more than jamat. there are a few more people that i know of, may need some help.

i am already paying sabeel, which i intend to continue to pay. But I have also asked some questions about how it is spent. which in my opinion is perfectly right and legitimate questions.

I would urge all my fellow bohras, please, this year please help those who need it. if you wish to pay wajebat, do so, but in a way that more is contributed towards needy and helpless people.

anajmi

Re: this year please help

Unread post by anajmi » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:08 am

sccty,

I have said this before, but it would be advisable for all bohras to first calculate how much zakat they owe on what they own. In most cases the total of all sila fitra, wajebaat, sabeel and zakat is much less than the 2.5% required for zakat. The bohras do not pay more than what is required. They pay much much less. Their contribution is not based on calculation. If it had been, they would have a lot more money (percentage wise) to give to those that are needy.

Besides, the bohras dread the month of Ramadan because at the bottom of their hearts is the knowledge that their hard earned money is not getting them any sawab. It's going in to line the pockets of the corrupt kothar.

So, the two step cure is to first calculate your zakat honestly, then cut out the kothar, or if you cannot, you are not paying them more than what is required, bargain and get it down to even less.

jinx

Unread post by jinx » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:04 am

Anajmi is giving a good suggestion.

If your Zakat is not put to good use then it seems as if you never really implement this ordinance.

humble_servant_us

Unread post by humble_servant_us » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:47 am

Most of us pay wajebaat/sabeel as a comunnity fee to stay in the community and not considering it as an act for Allah(swt), so best we try to pay as less as we can.

But you are correct Zakaat and khums are obligatory and one should calculate and pay their respective amounts to those who owe it.

Muslim First

Unread post by Muslim First » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:26 am

Khums