Aga Khan's view on cartoon issue

The one and only free public forum for Bohras. The focus of this forum is the reform movement, the Dawoodi Bohra faith and, of course, the corrupt priesthood. But the discussion is in no way restricted to the Bohras alone.
Musafir

Aga Khan's view on cartoon issue

Unread post by Musafir » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:21 pm

"An important goal of quality education is to equip each generation to
participate effectively in what has been called "the great conversation"
of our times. This means, on one hand, being unafraid of controversy. But
it also means being sensitive to the values and outlooks of others.
This brings me back to the current headlines. For I must believe that it
is ignorance which explains the publishing of those caricatures which have
brought such pain to Islamic peoples. I note that the Danish journal where
the controversy originated acknowledged, in a recent letter of apology,
that it had never realized the sensitivities involved.
In this light, perhaps, the controversy can be described less as a clash
of civilizations and more as a clash of ignorance. The alternative
explanation would be that the offense was intended*in which case we would
be confronted with evil of a different sort. But even to attribute the
problem to ignorance is in no way to minimize its importance. In a
pluralistic world, the consequences of ignorance can be profoundly
damaging.
Perhaps, too, it is ignorance which has allowed so many participants in
this discussion to confuse liberty with license *implying that the sheer
absence of restraint on human impulse can constitute a sufficient moral
framework. This is not to say that governments should censor offensive
speech. Nor does the answer lie in violent words or violent actions. But I
am suggesting that freedom of expression is an incomplete value unless it
is used honorably, and that the obligations of citizenship in any society
should include a commitment to informed and responsible expression.
If we can commit ourselves, on all sides, to that objective, then the
current crisis could become an educational opportunity*an occasion for
enhanced awareness and broadened perspectives.
Ignorance, arrogance, insensitivity*these attitudes rank high among the
great public enemies of our time. And the educational enterprise, at its
best, can be an effective antidote to all of them."....

Read full speech at: http://www.akdn.org/speeches/2006Feb12.htm

accountability

Re: Aga Khan's view on cartoon issue

Unread post by accountability » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:07 pm

I agree with the speech, he delivered it wisely, but may I ask, if Agha Khan himself applies these valued principles to his community, which he is so profusely preaching. his command on his community is very tyrinical, his demand from his follower the complete subjugation does not meet his preached rhetoric.

Africawala

Unread post by Africawala » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:00 am

Dear accountability:
his command on his community is very tyrinical, his demand from his follower the complete subjugation does not meet his preached rhetoric.
Can you please explain? What is complete subjugation? And how is his command on his community very tyrannical?

Thanks.

accountability

Unread post by accountability » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:23 pm

Dear africawala
subjugation: Dearhttp://www.wordreference.com/definition/subjugation.
3 subjugation, subjection

forced submission to control by others.

Africawala

Unread post by Africawala » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:17 pm

Dear Accountability,

I know the meaning of subjugation. I am sorry I was not clear. What I wanted to hear from you were some (or at least one example each) of subjugation by Aga Khan of his people and his tyrannical rule. Thanks.

accountability

Unread post by accountability » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:17 pm

Dear africawala:

I am sorry that i am responding late, I did not mean to criticize Aga Khan in person. but since he is the imam of Isamili community, and if a communal organization tend to be manipulative and exploitative, then the head should take the responsibility. Because in the end he is the beneficiery.

12% tax that is to be paid by each member of the community on their income, is not appropriate. and you also know that it is not voluntary. I came accross a girl, she was given a hard time in her marriage, because of her dues. I do know some Ismailis, who are as critical of their establishmet, as are we. there are no of examples where ismailis have converted, surprisingly to sunni faith, rather than becoming an isna ashary khoja.

Musafir

Unread post by Musafir » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:11 pm

I am not very much learned about the Ismaili faith but as much I am aware of, these days there is no record of that 12% Tax(Dasond). In olden days like upto 70's jamati leadership use to keep the record of all murids that who has paid and who has not. Now it is 100% faith base. If you believe in Imams Haq of Dasond which is 12% you pay it, if you don't want to pay it, it is your karam. Imam Sultan Mohammad Shah was very strict about the Dasond (12%) but the 49th Imam is not strict about it or he never had approved any punishment for it. I might be wrong but some Ismaili from the forum can put further light on that. Allah knows better.

jamanpasand

Unread post by jamanpasand » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:15 pm

Talking to some Ismaili friends, I observed that all their wajibats are voluntary at present. There are guidelines of what one should pay but no extortion. I am told that this policy results in more contributions than their expected targets.

Africawala

Unread post by Africawala » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:34 am

Dear Accountability,
I am sorry that i am responding late, I did not mean to criticize Aga Khan in person. but since he is the imam of Isamili community, and if a communal organization tend to be manipulative and exploitative, then the head should take the responsibility. Because in the end he is the beneficiery.

12% tax that is to be paid by each member of the community on their income, is not appropriate. and you also know that it is not voluntary. I came accross a girl, she was given a hard time in her marriage, because of her dues. I do know some Ismailis, who are as critical of their establishmet, as are we. there are no of examples where ismailis have converted, surprisingly to sunni faith, rather than becoming an isna ashary khoja.
As regards Wajeebat, please read Jamanpasand's post. What he says is true. As regards the percentage,i.e.12.50%, please read my response to Kaka Akela under the thread: Wajeebat.

Whosoever told you that a wedding was stopped because the person did not pay his dues is either lying through his teeth or some priest abused his position and the person should have complained to the Council. I do not believe this to be true at all.
but since he is the imam of Isamili community, and if a communal organization tend to be manipulative and exploitative, then the head should take the responsibility. Because in the end he is the beneficiery.
I agree with you. Believe me there is no member of the community who is "manipulative and exploitative" because their interests are not served. Unlike the Amils who get certain percentage of the zakah collected, Ismaili priests get nothing. I wish you could quote an example of manipulation and exploitation. You told me about the girl which sounds not true.

Recently there was a fund raising for IIS. The target was set. People rushed to contribute and by the time I returned from my overseas trip and went to volunteer a donation, I was told that the target had been reached and no more donations were being accepted. As soon as the target is reached, donations are no longer accepted This is true for any fund being raised except for FOCUS Humanitarian Assistance. They never close this.. These donations are separate from Wajeebat. As Jamanpasand said, they collect more money this way, because there is no force.

As regards, Ismailis converting to Shia Ithna Asharias, I think this happened in the time of the late Imam because there was discontent as the Imam had brought in changes but this is no longer valid today. Even in the later years of the late Imam, this did not happen. I think Bohoras convert more into Ithnas than Ismailis. I know many bohoras who have converted to Ithnas. Ismailis convert more to Sunni Islam because those who convert do not believe that they need an Imam. They would never convert to Ithna or Bohora (except for marriage) because they do not believe in Ghaib Imam. For Bohora to convert to Ithna is easier because the concept is the same although the line of Imamat is different. Both sects observe Mohorram and do Matam and visit Shrines of Imams as religous rites. Ismailis do not.
do know some Ismailis, who are as critical of their establishmet, as are we.
Can you be specific? Is there baraat of the whole family when one member converts to another faith? Or a member marries outside the faith?

Are they forced to pay their dues?

Are their rites like bayah, death and marriages stopped because they have not paid their dues?

Is money collected by way of salaams to conduct above ceremonies?

The fixed rate of salaam or Mehmani is $7.50 if you wish to pay to the Imam for his birthday, or for any good occasion in the family.You are not required or forced to pay this.

Ismaili Imams have taken good care of their flock and this is proved by the fact that when Asians were kicked out of Uganda, Ismaili Imam chartered planes to evacuate his flock and other Asians. He made arrangements for the Ismailis fleeing from Kenya and Tanzania with Trudeau to absorb them in Canada. He did the same with his followers who fled Afghanistan and for the first 3 years he and his followers supported them, as this was the agreement with Canadian Government. Would you call this Imam a tyrant? or even his community manipulative? I can go on and on but I think this should suffice for the moment.
Sorry for such a long post. I hope this helps.

Africawala

SBM

Unread post by SBM » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:44 pm

A letter from an ex-Ismai'li

"May I for the sake of Allah (swt), His Deen and the Muslim Ummaah, request you to please consider the following facts very carefully and decide on your responsibility before Allah (swt) in this matter"

Dear Brothers-Sisters

As-Salaamu Alaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuhu

May I for the sake of Allah (swt), His Deen and the Muslim Ummah, request you to please consider the following facts very carefully and decide on your responsibility before Allah (swt) in this matter.

I am a revert to Islam. I was an Ismaili (Khoja) before - a follower of the Aga Khan. And I perceive an important Da'wah responsibility which the majority of Muslims are for some reason or other are ignoring. I am not getting you into petty sectarian issues, but a very important matter - please judge for yourself:

1. The Ismailis (followers of the Aga Khan) all professedly believe that the Qur'an was time-bound and was not meant to be a Universal message for all times. They believe that their spiritual leader, Karim Aga Khan, is the "walking - talking Qur'an" and his "religious pronouncements", whatever they may be, are the "guidance" for the present times. The fundamental article of faith that there will not be any NEW revelations or "wahy" after the Qur'an, is being completely violated by the Ismailis.

2. The Aga Khan has officially declared himself, before his followers, as the "Mazhar of Allah on earth". The word "mazhar" means "copy" or "manifest". Consequently, these Ismailis who call themselves Muslims do "sujood" before him. So even the primary axiomatic principle of Tawheed is being fundamentally and formally violated by them.

3. The Ismailis are not instructed to offer the Islamic Salaah, observe Saum or perform Hajj. They have replaced Salaah with certain shirk-infested Du'aas (thrice a day). They are told that their Hajj is a personal "Glimpse" (Deedaar) of Karim Aga Khan.

4. The Aga Khan and his appointees 'forgive the sins' of the followers on regular basis. Ismailis are misled into believing that they will not be questioned on the Day of Judgement for the sins that are already forgiven in their Jamatkhanas (community centres). Forgiving of sins is the exclusive prerogative and privilege of Allah (swt) alone (see Qur'an 3:135).

5. Against this backdrop, most of the poor (spiritually poor) Ismailis who are not introduced to the Qur'an are confused and misguided. Hence, Ismailis are very easy prey to missionary efforts by various Christian groups and Baha'is. I have known a couple of young ex-Ismailis who are today preaching Christianity to Ismailis as evangelical missionaries.

6. Karim Aga Khan's own daughter Zahra having married a practising Christian has opened the gates for young Ismailis girls to follow the footsteps of a family member of their beloved Imam-e-Zaman. The parents of the Ismaili girls who wish to marry outside of Islam have no recourse but to let them go.

7. The Aga Khan has made Halaal for the Ismailis that which Allah has made Haraam for the humans. Taking of interest (usury) is not forbidden by the religious instruction classes run by the "Tariqaah" board of the Ismailis. As a matter of fact, the much publicised "Venture Capital" program (details on the website of FORBES Magazine - search under "Aga Khan"), of loaning funds on interest by the AKFED (Aga Khan Fund & Economic Development) , has been a great success. Similar entrepreneurial projects are now being actively promoted and introduced to poor Muslims of Tajikistan and neighbouring areas.

8. The Muslim Ummaah and the various Muslim leaders are not fully aware of these Un-Islamic acts and beliefs of this community of less than two million members, who claim to be the Ismaili Muslims. Surprisingly, their leader Aga Khan claims himself to be a spiritual leader of 15 million Muslims and a Direct Descendant of Prophet Muhammad (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam).

9. Earlier, one did not have authentic books on Ismailism, but it is not so anymore. There are two authentic books as well as one comprehensive web site exposing the inner practices of the Ismailis and the Proclamations (Farmans) of the Aga Khans. Hence, now you have no "hujjah" argument or excuse left before Allah (swt) for not taking up the task of inviting the misguided "Ismaili Muslims" towards the Deen of Allah (swt) and not safeguarding them from committing unpardonable sin of Shirk.

10. The Aga Khan, in collaboration with so many Western powers and aid, has set up the world-wide Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN) which runs several institutions and service companies both in the profit and not-for-profit sectors. This network is very actively operating in Pakistan, India, Tanzania, Uganda, Kenya and Bangladesh, and has now started concentrating its efforts in Tajikistan and the neighbouring areas where there is a concentration of Muslims who have not known or openly practised Islam for decades. By taking up economical, social, educational and rural development efforts through NGOs (Non-Govt. Organisations) within the AKDN, the Ismailis and the Aga Khan have gained wide acceptance amongst these countries and masses. Hence this urgent appeal.

11. Now all these beneficiaries are "obliged and grateful" to the Aga Khan and his followers and his organisations for the much-needed schools, medical centres, hospitals, various projects and programmes. In this manner they are penetrating and infiltrating the support system - and one fine day, the Muslim Ummaah will wake up to the unexpected realisation that they have a community of so-called Muslims, practising the Un-Islamic Tariqaah, in charge of all core and support activities. Each of these much-needed projects will have the photos of Aga Khan decorating the walls.

In the name of Allah (swt) and Islam, kindly urge our Brothers and Sisters to do Da'wah to the Ismailis, who otherwise will, on the day of judgement, hold us responsible for not conveying the Revealed Truth to them. Dear Brother/Sister, you know much more on the subject than what little I have learnt since reverting to the Deen of Allah (swt). It hurts to see the misguided simple minded people die on SHIRK because we did not amply warn them before their deaths.

I am aware of your stature as a religious leader of repute, respectability and acceptance among Muslim masses, and hence have sought to put this appeal to you. I request you to seriously consider this request and initiate all steps that you consider Wajib and appropriate. To spread the "Truth" and eradicate "Taghoot" is a significant, major Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam).

May I also request you to please forward this e-mail to at least five (if not all) of your Muslim friends and activists so that greater awareness of this issue is created, and this request reaches a wider audience. Please do so. JazakAllah."

In case you wish to seek any further clarification please feel free to e-mail a message. I will Insh'allah respond. I apologise in advance, if this happens to be a repeat message.

May Allah (swt) shower His choicest Blessings on the entire Muslim Ummah. May Almighty Allah bless you and keep you in the service of Islam and Muslims. Aameen.

Jazak'Allah and Was salaam,

Yours in the Service of Islam,

Akbarally Meherally

porus

Unread post by porus » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:19 pm

When was this e-mail written and sent?

Aga Kahnis are free to practice their religion in their own way and also to spread it by persuasion.

Much worse is the spread of Wahhabi fanaticism throughout the world, whose primary agenda is to destroy non-Wahhabi Islam, particularly the Shia.

Wahhabies very generously support the fanatics, especially in Iraq, India, Pakistan and Afghanistan. There, their proxies have unleashed terror on the Shia and murdered thousands. They do not believe in persuasion or discussion.

muhammad khan

Unread post by muhammad khan » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:29 am

priest abused his position and the person should have complained to the Council. I do not believe this to be true at all.
Hi Africawala,

No priest can do that, because no priest can find out who is paying how much. I have never seen any priest counting indivial dues.

Worrying about dues is not priests business, he is there to help and motivate others, lead religious and social activities.

Sajid Zafar

Unread post by Sajid Zafar » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:15 pm

It. is not appropriate to argue and discuss about the beliefs and practices of other sects (including Ismailis) on this forum. The sole intent of this forum is to discuss the issues faced by Dawoodi Bohras no matter they are orthodox or progressive. They are the face of the coin and divided purposely by the 51 and 52 Dais.

So, please stick to it and don't bring non relevant topics on this forum. Further, people like Muslim First, etc. are obviously not welcomed on this board as they are more worried about others rather than themselves. Lets make it very clear that one will be questioned about his or her aamals but not about the other. So these so called "THEKEDARS OF ISLAM" must get lost of this site.