Misuse of well-wishers’ efforts

The one and only free public forum for Bohras. The focus of this forum is the reform movement, the Dawoodi Bohra faith and, of course, the corrupt priesthood. But the discussion is in no way restricted to the Bohras alone.
S. Insaf

Misuse of well-wishers’ efforts

Unread post by S. Insaf » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:22 am

Here are few examples of how the efforts for welfare of Dawat, Dai and the Community by the progressive minded well-wisher Bohras have been misused by last two Bohra Dais for the welfare of their own family and personal interests.

1) Misuse of Sir Adamji Peerbhoy’s efforts:-

Born in 1846 Adamji Peerbhoy had seen the regimes of four Dais, 47th Dai Sayedna Abdul Qadar Najmuddin, 48th Dai Sayedna Abdul Husain Hushamuddin, 49th Dai Sayedna Mohammad Burhanuddin and 50th Dai, Sayedna Abdullah Badruddin. He remained faithful to them and did his best for the welfare of Dawat, Dai, the Bohra community and humanity at large. In recognition of his services 49th Dai Sayedna Mohammad Burhanuddin awarded him the title of “Rafiuddin” (High in Religion) and the King Edward VII of British government conferred the title of Knight on him in 1907. Thus he came to be known as Sir Adamji Peerbhoy Rafiuddin in the history of India.

As is well known Dais prior to 51st Dai were poor and heavily indebted as these Dais were petty traders or hawkers and had no other source of income.
So much so that in 1892 one Shaikh Abdul Tayyeb, Amil of 49th Dai Sayedna Mohammad Burhanuddin file a suit no. 285 of 1892 against the Sayedna and tried to put him in Jail to recover his Rs. 50,000 with 4000 interest given to Sayedna as returnable loan on simple interest.

Looking at the plight of the Dawat and the Dai Sir Adamji Peerbhoy Rafiuddin organized a conference on 9th March 1899 at Dhoraji and made it obligatory for all Amils to remit 5% of their collection towards the center for Dai to carry on Dawat functions. {Earlier the entire amount (the salary paid by local Jamat and personal income) was retained by the Amils}.

But the last two Sayednas misused this kind effort by the reformist minded Sir Adamji Peerbhoy Rafiuddin. The over-ambitious money-minded 51st Dai Sayedna Taher Saifuddin as soon as he occupied the seat of Dawat started monopolizing all powers in his hand completely throttling the freedom and independence of the local Jamats and the common Bohras. And soon he established his own financial empire crushing all welfare activities by individual Bohras.

2) Misuse of Reformists efforts for modern secular education: -

At the beginning of 20th century under the influence of the British rule in India some Bohras elites loyal to the Dai, Dawat and the Community established modern educational institutes for the Bohra community. At first Madrasae Hakimiyah was established in 1901 in Burhanpur as primary school. It was converted in a middle school in 1910. In the same town one more school in the name of Qadaria School was established in 1911. Later with efforts of then Deputy Commissioner, Mr. Leftwitch the two schools were amalgamated. The school was run by an independent committee. This was during 50th Dai Sayedna Abdullah Badruddin. But when Sayedna Taher Saifuddin became Dai in 1915 he intensified a vilification campaign against the school’s management and the Bohras were compelled to withdraw financial support to the school. Thus strong differences arose between the management committee of the school and Sayedna Taher Saifuddin Saheb. The committee then decided to get the school registered and obtain government grants. This was the start of authoritarian and ruthless rule and the process of excommunication (Salaam-bandh, Jamat-kharij, Barat) in the Dawoodi Bohra history.

Sayedna Burhanuddin Saheb followed his father’s footsteps and further tightened his grip on the community by his harsher policy.

Traditionally the Dawoodi Bohras had blind faith in Dai and followed him with having any doubt in mind. It was due the unparallel sacrifices of Dais for the sake of the faith and the community. But the repressive and exploitative policies of 51st Dai started raising questions in the minds of certain well-wishers of the Dawat and the community.

These well-wishers realize that for constructive and courageous opposition and meaningful change, awareness of individual rights is most important, which can come through secular education. Thus they established first ever school for modern education in Burhanpur in the beginning of 20th century know as “Hakimiya Coronation High School and held various educational conferences, which were tooth and nail opposed by Sayedna Taher Saifuddin Saheb.

But as the opposition grew he decided to misuse these efforts for modern secular education by securing control of these schools and institutions raising their fees to level unaffordable for common Bohras thus converting them in to commercial capitals.

To be continued………….

hypocritebohra

Re: Misuse of well-wishers’ efforts

Unread post by hypocritebohra » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:28 am

Insafbhai

Thank You, you are one of the few people on this forum who utlize it for the very purpose it was intended , (unlike others mainly from the Kothari contributors who are here just to abuse and amuse and unfortunately some from our reformist side too that fall bait to thier nonsensical taunts and counter them by more abuse) which is to make our community aware of the misdeeds perperated by one family to totally subjugate our entire community to their whims and desires in order to satiate their lust for power and riches
Please keep on posting such articles so that general awreness spreads and resistance and reform take root May Allah Bless you for the good work you are doing for the communlty

seeker110

Unread post by seeker110 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:02 pm

Beware of the priest who is also the king.

mhp

Unread post by mhp » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:56 pm

In recognition of his services 49th Dai Sayedna Mohammad Burhanuddin awarded him the title of “Rafiuddin” (High in Religion) and the King Edward VII of British government conferred the title of Knight on him in 1907. Thus he came to be known as Sir Adamji Peerbhoy Rafiuddin in the history of India.
Saifuddin Bhai
We are really unaware of these facts, you are doing great job by revealing these facts to us, bohras are brainwashed by saying "Aa logo to Maula na Dushman Hata". Please tell us more about Sir Adam Ji Pir Bhoy, also about the case with Syedna Tahir Saifuddin so that readers will know about the past history, also mention views from both the parties so that we can judge who was right and who was wrong.

Haggi

Unread post by Haggi » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:25 pm

Its ironic that that a well wisher's ( Sir Adamjee) effort to make the Daiship financially independent from the clutches
of the Amils regressed into the 51st and 52nd forming a faith dominated by a culture based around fiscal exploitations
of the common Bohras.We must conclude that the 51st was very shrewd and clever not to repeat the "mistakes" of the other Dais and maintain
this financial independence and dominance. The more revenue they amassed the more dominant and arrogant they became and the whole faith
metamorphorfed into a family dominated business cum religion cum royal house. Its evident that with all his good intentions Sir Adamjee, belonging to the
elite of the Bohra society of that time and his proximity to the Dais created (unknowingly) a monstrosity who at the end consumed him and all other do-gooders of our society similarly
like the fictional Dr.Frankenstiean who in his bid to create a perfect human created a monster who went berserk and finally destroyed him.

All this is true but this info. makes you ponder and to ask some questions to clear the matter further more.

1. How did the Amil's end up with all this financial power and independence ?
2. Who were they they accountable to regarding the use of the the revenue ?
3. How was the local Jamaat involved in the decisions makings of as to how spend that revenue or was it all pocketed by the Amil ?
4.Why did Sheikh Abdul Tayyeb have the audacity to take 49th to court for recovering his loan ? Its like a Bishop taking the Pope for not paying his debt.
5. Agreeing that most of the Dai's before 51 and 52nd were pious and humble and maybe financially poor in their lifetimes. But looking at our history we had so many
schisms in our religion involving at first the Imams and latter on the Dais we need to ask ourselves of why we have vested so much power to one Super being, at first the
Imam and at a latter stage the Dai Mutlaq. Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts all and more.

The rot in our religion set a long time ago and its not a recent phenomena and no wonder because of so many schisms in our history we are are down to just over a million people in this world.
Were will this "nali quom" progress or regress to only He knows.

S. Insaf

Unread post by S. Insaf » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:22 am

In fact whatever Sayedna Taher Saifuddin Saheb and the Sayedna Burhanuddin Saheb are today it is because of Sir Adamji Peerbhoy and his associates.

1) The Saifee Mahal was Sir Adamji's residence in Bombay known as Peerbhoy Palace, 2) Bohra Rubat were all constructed by Sir Adamji,

3) Saifee Hospital is built on Sir Adamji's land after demolishing his free Sanatorium,

4) Naryalwadi, Sewri and Natha bhai Bohra Kabrastans in Bombay were all due the efforts of Sir Adamji’s efforts,

5) Faize-Husaini Trust initially established in Karachi by Yusufaly Alibhoy Currimji and his brothers in undivided India with its branches in Bombay. Najaf and Karbala was due to the initiation and enragement of Sir Adamji,

6) Initial schools in Burhanpur for modern education was started by Adamji's son, Krimji Adamji Peerbhoy,

7) Matheran (which latter became a great spot for relaxation for both Taher Saifuddin Saheb and Burhanuddin Saheb) was developed by Sir Adamji's son Ali Husain Adamji along with him and a mini train was run by them.

These are all of great source of regular income to Sayedna his family.

8) Again when materially ambitious Sayedna Taher Saifuddin Saheb left Surat came to India's commercial capital, Bombay and bought Badri Mahal building by usurping the money from Chandbhoy's charity box (galla) and was opposed by sons of Sir Adamji, Sayedna inthe name of fighting a case against an enemy of Dai and Dawat collected enormous amount of money from the community and built his financial empire.

S. Insaf

Unread post by S. Insaf » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:27 am

Dear Haggi,
I am leaving Mumbai and will not be available for about 10 days. I shall try to asnwer your questions on my return.

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:57 pm

One more example of kothar's dubious and evil attempt to thwart a well wisher's effort was the dictat on bohras to close their accounts in Bombay Mercantile Co-op Bank, which was established by a bohra viz. Late Shk Allabux. The bank was amongst the leading co-op banks in India due to the efforts of Late Zain Rangoonwala but sadly the same is now in dire straits after Mr.Rangoonwala's demise. The reason for kothar's animosity towards the bank and Mr.Rangoonwala was their unwillingness to appoint the kothari goons (shehzadas) on their board of directors and for which a number of bohras were forced to close down their accounts and the bohra staff was forced to resign. The account holders suffered heavily as some of them were preferred customers of the bank and had access to quick disbursals of loans due to their long standing relations with the bank and their close proximity with fellow bohra staff. The bohra staff, some of whom had put on years of service suffered heavily as they were forced to resign abruptly and hunt for new jobs which was a very difficult task.

accountability

Unread post by accountability » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:01 pm

In addition to the above, bohra mercantile bank karachi was closed, it was a very helpful bohra institution as well. The property is located in prime business locality at Denso Hall karachi. The same method was applied,either you surrender the bank or get it closed. Very cleverly in the name of intrest free qardan hasna, a new kind of exploitative financial institution is evolved.

they are very successful in taking over bohra finances yet controlling them. it is making sure, that revenues are flowing in and also their imposed taxes are paid. ordinary bohras now turn to them for any financial need, most of the time this fund is used to gather attendees at various functions at their own cost. half of which is collected back in the name of hadiya etc. But the individual end up paying the full amount.

mutmaeen

Unread post by mutmaeen » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:14 am

my experience with the qaradan hasana in my city is very different-its one of the best institutions with total transperency and accountability for the sole purpose of catering to the financial needs of dawoodi-bohras-the only criteria for getting a loan is the amount of savings you have in your account and nothing else

accountability

Unread post by accountability » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:10 pm

well, you did not elobrate how did you find this transparent and accountable. Is it becasue you secured the loan. But doing that didn't you have to go through clearance from sabeel and wajebat, and i am sure you did go through. Now imagine a scenario, you were in dire need, and you were also behind in your sabeel and wajebat. you would never get the loan. Or if you can not get two guaranteers to sign your form.

As I said that it is a parallel financial system. In karachi, qardan hasana doles out few applications eaach week, and out of that only half can get the loan. People used to line up from dusk till dawn to get one form. Also in toronto and mississauga the jamat office bearers are biggest loan acquirer. Your criteria do not apply to them. Most of them dont have savings to match the amount, they get around by either depositing whloesome amount or just approved.

Every year each family in north america doles out more than 2 thousand dollars to jamat in sabeel and wajebat, imagine you did not pay for five years, and after five years you need 10 thousand dollars, you dont have to take loan or qardan, you would have the money.

mutmaeen

Unread post by mutmaeen » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:01 am

bro acc

i know what i m talking about-this qaradan hasana gives u loan thrice the amount of your savings irrespective of the fact that u have cleared ur sabeel or vajebaat-no one can get a rupee more than thrice his savings whatever his prominence-the accounts are audited and an agm called annually where the balance sheet and income-expense accounts are circulated to all members beforehand and they can ask any clarification and suggest whatever changes they may prefer-the agm is a democratic gathering where one is free to express ones views on the institution-its chaired by the amil saheb who is the ex officio president of the institution but does not have a veto or any special powers over the institution

accountability

Unread post by accountability » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:47 am

Brother mutmaeen

I am not refuting you, but I am very sure, if your sabeel and wajebat accounts are not clear you will not get qardan hasna. One very coservative bohra did not get the loan, as his guaranters were not cleared of sabeel and wajebat. So he had to seek some one else whose dues were cleared to get the loan. This person told me. I called jamat to confirm what you said. They categorically said, that if your dues are not cleared you will not be considered for any loan. I insisted if person does not have the means to clear the dues, but they said that they can not do anything because it is the farman.

Regarding jamat members able to seek enormeous amount from qardan hasna, I cannot name the person here but he did get hundered thousand dollars from the fund and without fulfilling the requisite criterea. There is a way around, they give qardan for business, he sought it for business. But would I be able to get such loan without guarantees, I very much doubt.

mutmaeen

Unread post by mutmaeen » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:05 am

bro acc

i agree that some qaradans are misused by those in charge.but at the same time there is an excellent and the best qaradan hasanah in my city

U CAN AVAIL LOAN IF UR SAVNGS ARE IN ORDER EVEN IF U HAVE NOT CLEARED UR SABEEL OR WAJEBAAT-NO BIG SHOT CAN GET A LOAN THRICE HIS SAVINGS AND NO ONE IS APPEASED WHATEVER HIS POSITION

Maqbool

Unread post by Maqbool » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:22 am

Mutmaeen,

It is amassing that audited accounts are given in you city for qarden hasana and Amil does not have any veto power.

I am really surprised and would like to know in which part of the world this system exists!! I can understand your difficulty to disclose the name of the city but you can give us hint about country and states.

mutmaeen

Unread post by mutmaeen » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:23 am

india-tamil nadu

Anwar

Unread post by Anwar » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:50 am

mutmaeen, I must say your jamaat and its members has to be congradulated. Well done and keep up the good clean work.
I have heard,of very sad and heartbreaking stories and incidences , from no other than a Wali Mulla of a certain town in Gujrat, how these funds have been missused, och shall I say well used by the few in power who have accesss to the money.

ozmujaheed

Unread post by ozmujaheed » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:54 pm

Qardhan or Micro-finance is good and very useful however it is misused and there is no transperancy whether the administrators comply to the policy of leveraging personal savings or providing collateral security just as other members have to comply by.

Secondly one needs safai to obtain Qardhan and hence it is directly controlled by the Amil whether a person is clear to receive the loan or not.

I know of cases which expplains people on the borderline going to leghth and suck up to the Amil, do Daris and ensure his records are upto date where they invest capital on lobying to ensure they receive funds as return on publicity investment.

Aqa Moula_Zindabad

Unread post by Aqa Moula_Zindabad » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:40 am

S. Insaf wrote:In fact whatever Sayedna Taher Saifuddin Saheb and the Sayedna Burhanuddin Saheb are today it is because of Sir Adamji Peerbhoy and his associates.
Sir.....dont u feel there is Allah above Sir Adamji Peerbhoy????? so u might also feel that whatever u r today is only becaz of Ajgar and contractor's.....what a pathetic analogy :|

S. Insaf

Unread post by S. Insaf » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:18 am

Dear brother Aqa Moula_Zindabad,
Off course there is and there will always be Allah above all. All Ahsan and Karam are Allah's only. But some petty humans take credit for it. Allah is the only Aqa Maula.
If you really believe in Allah please be honest in your assessments.

We are talking of material benefits. And I have quoted undenieable examples of our last two Sayednas usurping Sir Adamji's properties and becoming what they are today. A robber is a robber and you can not defend him by putting blame on Allah Subahanullah for his act.

As I have stated elsewhere on this board: However honest, intelligent and hardworking a person may be but he can not become filthy rich like our last two Sayednas without robbing others. Or by inheriting from his ancestors, which in case of Sayedna Taher Saifuddin Saheb was not there.

As for as I am concerned I have not been materially benefited by my commitment to reform movement. In fact I had to scarify a lot.

ghulam muhammed

Unread post by ghulam muhammed » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:02 pm

mutmaeen wrote:the only criteria for getting a loan is the amount of savings you have in your account and nothing else
Bro Mutmaeen,

The other most important criteria is to provide 2 GUARANTORS in absence of which the loan is not sanctioned. To prove my point Iam giving below list of a few conditions as specified by the Toronto jamaat which the borrower must fulfil:-

QARDAN HASANA SCHEME:
1. This is a Qardan scheme only. Any eligible Mumineen may apply.
Amount:a. Business: No limit; repayable within 24 months
b. Emergency Requirements: repayable in 24 months.
ALL repayments are to be made on monthly basis by EFT

Guarantors:
• Mandatory 2 per application.
• Guarantors must meet all requirements and must be able to pay amounts guaranteed in case of default.
• Guarantors should preferably be Bachat(Taufir Mubarak)members.
• Guarantors who are not members of Bachat(Taufir Mubarak) will be required to submit monthly cheques or EFT arrangements to cover full value of Qardan at the time of application.

Gold Jewelry Deposit:
• Up to 10% gold value for Qardan exceeding $15,000.00
• Gold value to be certified by Ezzi Quardan Hasana Trust (Toronto) approved jewelers at applicant’s expense.

Applicant and guarantors must have a good credit standing with Ezzi Quardan Hasana Trust (Toronto) and Anjumane Burhani (Toronto).

Qardan can only be obtained one at a time per Sabil paying family by the income earning spouse. A second Qardan will not be sanctioned unless the first Qardan has been fully paid off.

Approval of Qardan application(s) is at sole discretion of Ezzi Quardan Hasana Trust (Toronto).

In case of default, Ezzi Quardan Hasana Trust (Toronto) reserves the right to take any action against applicant/guarantor as necessary and to sell gold deposit if necessary.

Ezzi Quardan Hasana Trust (Toronto) reserves the right to amend, alter, add, cancel, or substitute the rules and regulations enunciated herein at any time with Raza of Aqua Moula (TUS) in order to carry out and promote the aims, objectives, and mandate of theTrust.

Contact Information
Mailing address
8929 Bayview Avenue
Richmondhill, Ontario
L4B 3M6
Tel : (905) 882 – 0052 (ext. 7)
Email address : faizeburhani@hotmail.com
Office Hours: 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Saturdays
Office Location: Al-Masjidus Saifee, 8929 Bayview Avenue, Richmondhill.

mutmaeen

Unread post by mutmaeen » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:38 am

yes a loanee would need two guarantors as thats the repayment mechanism he agrees to prior to becoming the member of the qaradan hasana society which i m infering to

anajmi

Unread post by anajmi » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:50 pm

As I said in another thread, the kothar dictates the agreement of the loan. The one who is receiving the loan doesn't have any say. He just has to obey and instead of Allah being the guarantor, this qarde hasanah requires human guarantors.

Haggi

Unread post by Haggi » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:28 pm

S. Insaf wrote:Dear Haggi,
I am leaving Mumbai and will not be available for about 10 days. I shall try to asnwer your questions on my return.
Insaf Bhai,
Still awaiting your influx to my queries regarding the relationship and power/control of the Aamils vis a vi the Dais .

S. Insaf

Unread post by S. Insaf » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:45 pm

Dear brother Haqqi,
Sorry I had forgotten the column in which you had asked questions.
After my return I remained busy with Bohra Chronicle work.
Also your questions are very important and they need elaborate explanation. I will try to answer them one by one.
Please have patience as I need to refer old records.

Haggi

Unread post by Haggi » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:59 pm

Dear S. Insaf bhai,
No problem and please take your time.

S. Insaf

Unread post by S. Insaf » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:59 am

Brother Haqqi’s first question is:
1. How did the Amils’ end up with all this financial power and independence?
It is interesting that the 49th Dai, the grandfather of Sayedna Taher Saifuddin Saheb was Sayedna Mohammad Burhanuddin and today’s 52nd Dai; son of Sayedna Taher Saifuddin Saheb is also Sayedna Mohammad Burhanuddin. One Mohammad Burhanuddin was indebted and other is a billionaire. And since 49th Dai was poor and indebted his Amil even tried to put him in Jail but since present 52nd Dai is a billionaire his Amils are quoting numbers of Quranic verses revealed 1500 years ago, when there was no concept of Imam or Dai and claiming that they were revealed in his praises.

Let me begin with one documentary incident brought to the notice of Justice Marten of Bombay High Court in famous Chandabhoy Galla case.

“In Cambay (Khambat) in India a charity box (galla) is kept at the Dargah of Kaka Akela and Kaki Akeli. It was managed by the local Dawoodi Bohra Jamat without any outside interference. 49th Dai and father of Mullaji Taher Saifuddin, Mullaji Mohammad Burhanuddin spent Rs. 145 from the amount placed in that galla for hosting a feast (Jaman). The local Jamat first wrote a letter on behalf of the Jamat and the manger of Dargah, Esuf Aly Kikabhoy with signatures of more than 100 elite Bohras to the Mullaji Saheb asking him to return that money. Some of the names of the signatories were advocate Hasan Ali, advocate Nazar Ali, Dr. Jeevakhan Cheenwala, Shaikh Abdul Latif, Miya Saheb Shamshuddin Gulam Husain etc.
When nothing was heard from Surat from the Mullaji Saheb the local Jamat filed a case against him to recover the amount. Ultimately a settlement was reached when the Mullaji Saheb paid back Rs. 77 and submitted a written apology in the court.”

The Chandabhoy Galla Case was filed in 1917 two years after Sayedna Taher Saifuddin Saheb occupied the seat of Dawat. By November 1918 he succeeded to have management of galla of the Dargah of Kaka Akela and Kaki Akeli in his control. Off Course he had to give a security deposit of Rs. 25000 and an undertaking that he will not use the amount placed in galla without the prior consultation and approval of the local Jamat.

This incident shows that:
Till then Amils had no say in the Jamat affairs as they were appointed and paid by the local Jamats. The Dais never exercised and misused their religious position in the secular affairs of local Jamats.

In case of Amil Sheikh Abdul Tayyeb who had the audacity to take 49th Dai to the court of law for recovering his loan and put him in jail Justice Marten had remarked:

1. Not a word was then said by the Dai that he was the master of the priest’s (Amil’s) body and soul and owner of his property,

2) It is, I think, to the credit of then Dai that he did not even excommunicate this audacious priest,

3) The Dai even did not ask the local Surat Jamat to remove him from services and stopp his wazifa.

The above incident and the remarks of Justice Marten show that the Dai and Amils before Sayedna Taher Saifuddin Saheb were powerless and the local Jamats were supreme in worldly matters.
It was because the Dais till then never claimed that they are “Religious as well as Temporal heads of the community”.

To be continued.....................

S. Insaf

Unread post by S. Insaf » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:38 am

Daer Haqqi,
Before I proceed to analyse your question “How did the Amils’ end up with all this financial power and independence?” please permit me to quote one more incident to which shows the clear difference between the community’s well-wisher philanthropists in times of Dais before Sayedna Taher Saifuddin Saheb and opportunist rich donors today.

The great philanthropists, Sir Adamji Peerbhoy purchase the “Sanatorium” land in 1883.
As he was loyal and faithful so he brought 47th Dai Sayedna Abdulqadir Najmuddin from Surat to Bombay for laying down the foundation stone of sanatorium and paid a huge sum of Rs. 50,000 to him as “Salam”. (Then in 1884, a sum of 50,000 rupees was a very big sum). The young Adamji Peerbhoy was not concerned with the controversy of “Nass”. He therefore most faithfully went on helping Sayedna Najmuddin Saheb financially which the Sayedna needed to manipulate his opponents.
In 1886 the sanatorium building was ready. He again brought 48th Dai, Sayedna Abdulhusain Husamuddin Saheb to inaugurate and paid him Rs. 25,000 as “Salam”. After inauguration Sayedna Husamuddin stayed in one of the rooms of the sanatorium and Adamji took good care of him.
One day when Sir Adamji was having a meeting with some businessmen sitting in Sanatorium garden Husamuddin Saheb sent one Lukmanji and demanded Rs. 3 lakhs. Adamji asked him the reason for demanding such a big sum but Sayedna Husamuddin most arrogantly said “Don’t you dare me ask any question”.
Sir Adamji immediately pushed the Sayedna out of his sanatorium along with his luggage. The Sayedna said sorry but he did not care. As news spread among Bohras no one was prepared to give shelter to Husamuddin Saheb in Bombay. He then went “Daud Baugh Jamatkhana and stayed there for 3 days and then left for Surat.
Nothing happened to Sir Adamji even after this incident. He remained in good books of Dawat and 49th Dai, Sayedna Mohammad Burhanuddin Saheb gave him the most prestigious title of “Rafiuddin” (The high in religion) and when died on 11th August 1913 the Sayedna walked bare-footed from Adamji’s resident at Malabar Hill “Peerbhoy Palace (Now Saifee Mahal) to his sanatorium at Charni Road in the funeral procession.

The Dai were not involved in worldly matters. They had not amassed wealth so they were not harsh or arrogant. There was no compulsion of Raza, Misaq, Baraat or Amil as a middle man.

Haggi

Unread post by Haggi » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:16 pm

Dear S Insaf bhai,
Thank you so much for all the above info. I'm begining to see the picture. The Aamils were appointed by the local jamaats and therefore had some independence from the control of the Dais and the Dais restricted themselves to only religious affairs unlike the present scenario whereby the office of Daiship has metamorphed into a well oiled machinery to take complete control of the community financially and spiritually. My observation regarding the 51st Dai, Taher Saifuddin saheb was correct when i said he learned from the ' mistakes ' of previous Dais and very' intelligiently' took control of the Dawah to suit himself and his family.

I look forward to your elaborations to my other questions. Thank you very much.

However, I'm still seeking further information regarding the office of the Dais in India. Surely, it wielded some authority, power and control over the community since the Dawah transferred from Yemen to India.
You particularly mentioned the merits of the 47th and 48th Dais of not taking any action Shk. Abdul Tayyeb and Sir Adamjee respectively. But what about the rest of the other Dais. Surely there were some bad apples. I say this because we have had many schisms in our religion that it has reduced our population to a mere million. For example, the big splitting off of our majority into Jaffri Bohras ( Sunni ) and further splits ei.Suleimanis and Alawis and so many other smaller splits. The problem has always been the Naas and the power of razaa and that is the reason i had mentioned that maybe the rot had set a long time ago.
Maybe we need to look further back into our history and peruse more to were we went wrong , were we did right and give deserving credit to our Imams and Dais who were righteous and deserving and recognise and acknowledge the others who were not.

S Insaf bhai, my thinking may sound very radical to you and most Bohras but I have not not been convinced of infallibility of the Imams and definitly not of the Dais.
I look forward to you thoughts.
Waasaalam,

S. Insaf

Unread post by S. Insaf » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:15 am

I was 8 years old when in Ramazan in 1949 Misal Sharif was received by Khandwa Dawoodi Bohra Jamat and I had found every one overjoyed.
Later I came to know the contact of that letter from Sayedna Taher Saifuddin Saheb. It was regarding doubling the pay of Amils. I too was very happy.
The Jamats were asked to send the pay of Amils and Madressa Moallims, a month in advance to Mukasir Saheb, Sayedi Saleh Bhaisaheb Safiuddin at Badri Mahal – Bombay who will return it after adding the equal amount from Sayedna Saheb, that is after doubling the amount.

Much latter in 1958 when I came in contact of the Sayedna’s establishment I came to know the real trick behind this Ahsan and Karam of Aqa Saiful Huda.

1) The entire payment done to Amils and Moallims were shown in the expenditure of the establishment.

2) Amils were treated as employee of the establishment.

This was the first step of bringing Amils and Moallims in the control of Dai at the same time creating an image of generosity of Shamshud-Duatul-Mutlaqueen.