Aga Khan's follower numbers dwindling

Given modern distractions, the need to understand Islam better has never been more urgent. Through this forum we can share ideas and hopefully promote the true spirit of Islam which calls for peace, justice, tolerance, inclusiveness and diversity.

Aga Khan's follower numbers dwindling

Unread post by Guest » Mon Feb 18, 2002 7:41 pm

From 20 million to 1 million followers <p>Harry Greenwall has quoted extracts from several articles written by the Aga Khan III in the British media during the early years of his Imamate. In one such article, quoted on page 46, Aga Khan wrote: <p> I am a direct descendant of the Prophet, and a large number of the Mohammedan faith to-day, numbering about twenty millions — acknowledge me as their head.<br>As far as I am aware, no true Muslim would call himself or herself Mohammedan. This was the term that continued to be used by the British to identify Muslims, often deliberately and in spite of the repeated protests by Muslims. The Christians are so named because they happen to worship Christ. Muslims do not worship "Mohammed," a term used by the British for Prophet Muhammad, upon whom be peace. <br> In a special "Birthday" issue of Ismaili weekly published on 19 January 1942, the population of those who worship Aga Khan is shown to be 20 million. The figure, which should have multiplied, remained the same after one generation. Today, after two more generations, the figure published in the media has dropped to between 15 to 12 million followers of Karim Aga Khan. <p> Enno Franzius writes in History of the Order of Assassins (p. 227): <p> In an effort to ascertain the number of Assassins [Nizari Ismailis] in the world, the author wrote to several Assassin authorities on three continents. Apart from one estimate of fifty million, he encountered a wall of silence. If he were pressed to express an opinion, he would venture the view that press reports of ten to fifteen million are exaggerated and conjecture that the followers of the Aga Khan do not exceed three million.<br>Even this figure of three million is a serious exaggeration. The true figure is under one million. The stories about millions in China, Russia, etc., have never been substantiated. Indeed, no attempt has ever been made for the simple reason that it would not stand up to even cursory scrutiny.

Re: Aga Khan's follower numbers dwindling

Unread post by Guest » Mon Feb 18, 2002 11:52 pm

I think the only people profess Aga Khani religion or Shia Ismaili Nizari is from India ex-Hindu convert. Same as with Bohras.<p>What is it about ex Hindu convert that makes them so gullible??